Beach Body Exercises, No Equipment Necessary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Summer is almost here! Most of us will hopefully be having an adventure this summer, whether it is soaking up sun at the beach, exploring in a different country or hiking in the mountains. However, that means that most of us will be without a gym. If you want to get that Beach-Read- Bod, but are without a gym this summer, never fear! There are lots of fun options for you, no equipment necessary!

Cardio
There are several enjoyable cardio possibilities to choose from, no matter where you are. If you are abroad, you can run. Whether in the city or in the country, if you are abroad, you should try to exercise with a buddy. Cities often provide a mapped-out course to follow and you can incorporate running up the stairs to challenge yourself. If you are in the country, it may be harder to find a defined path, so make sure you know the route before you take it. If you are not comfortable or don’t feel safe, you can do cardio in your room! After every circuit move below, alternate with 30 seconds of running in place, high knees, butt kicks, ins and outs, and/or jumping jacks. If you are at the mountains, then hiking is the way to go! It is hard, but gratifying. If you are at the beach running barefoot is a fantastic choice. You don’t even need running shoes! And, of course, there is always swimming! 

Circuit Training

For arms that would make Michelle Obama jealous:
Wide Pushups

• Get in a pushup position. Place your hands about 6 inches further out on each side.
  • Lower yourself.
  • Bring yourself up to the original position. That is 1 rep. Do 10 reps.

Plank to Downward-Facing Dog

• Begin in a pushup position.
  • Lift left foot slightly off the ground.
  • Push your hips back and up and bring your left leg up to the ceiling.
  • Bring your leg down and resume original position. Repeat on the other side. That is 1 rep. Do 15 reps.

Tricep Dip

• Sit with your knees bent and your back at a 45-degree angle, placing palms behind you.
  • Bend your elbows and lift hips slightly.
  • Resume original position. Repeat 15 times.

For the booty (and legs) you have always wanted:
Curtsy lunges

• Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
  • Step back with your left leg and cross it behind your right.
  • Bend your right knee and lower yourself into a lunge position.
  • Straighten up and bring your back leg out and tap it on the floor to your left. Repeat 10 times on each side.

Side lunges

• Stand with your feet spread wide apart.
  • Bend your left knee and lunge to your left side so, aligning your knee directly over your foot.
  • Come back up to the starting position. Do the other side. Repeat 10 times on each side.

Squats

• Stand up straight with your arms by your sides and your feet hip width apart.
  • Bend your knees and lower yourself as if you are about to sit down.
  • Return the original position. Repeat 20 times.

For a flat stomach (without getting your hair sandy!):
Planking

• Get in a pushup position. Your hands should be below your shoulders, your back should be flat, and your core should be tight.
  • Hold for 30 seconds. Remember to breath!

Kayak

• Sit with your back at a 45-degree angle. Straighten your legs and raise them off the ground. Clasp your hands together at your center.
  • Tighten your core and twist to your right. Touch your hands to the ground on your right. That is 1 rep. Repeat 40 times.

Bicycle Crunches

• Lay flat on your back with your knees bent and your feet in the air. You head and shoulders should not be touching the ground. Place your hands at your temples.
  • Extend your right leg and bring your left leg to your right elbow and touch it.
  • Resume the original position. Do other side. Repeat 10 times on each side.

Do as many circuits as you feel comfortable with! Minimally, do cardio 3 times a week and strength training 2 times a week.

If you have any tips or workout ideas for those without a gym this summer, please feel free to share them in the comment section below! 

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com