The 8 Stages of Painting a Sorority Banner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

I never really thought about who made sorority banners and how they made them, instead assuming they appeared magically overnight, hanging from the house porch and fluttering in the breeze gracefully as if they’d always been there. Well, this week I learned differently — I painted a banner myself, and the illusion was shattered. Banner-painting is an intense, time-consuming process that requires many, many steps. Here are the 8 emotional stages of painting a sorority banner:

1. Confusion

Oh boy. So you’re going to be doing this. What did you sign yourself up for?

Source

2. Excitement

There are SO many cute designs online! This is going to be so great *squeals while looking at pinterest board*!

Source 

3. Fear

You begin to realize that the design that looked SO CUTE on Pinterest is actually ridiculously complicated. How are you ever going to trace and paint all those tiny flowers???

Source

4. Resignation

You did this to yourself. You will complete this banner no matter how many tiny flowers you have to paint.

Source

5. Exhaustion

There is no past, there is no future, there is only this banner. 

6. Grim Determination

“I can do this!” you chant as you lie on the floor, covered in paint. You won’t go home until you’re done!

Source

7. Relief

You’re finally done! You’ve never felt more relieved in your life, and you probably need a moment to accept that you’ve finally completed your banner.

Source

8. Pride

As your banner hangs from the house porch, its beauty visible to all, you feel like a proud mom. You are the banner-painting queen.

Source

Dana Florczak is an English major at the College of William and Mary, with aspirations of being the boss when she grows up. She loves talking about herself in the third person.