7 Way Fashion Inspiration: The Hunger Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Sometimes we get in a rut and wear our middle school soccer team’s shirt with jean shorts for a week. In need of a new look for class, a date, or going out with the girls? Try one of these easy looks inspired by The Hunger Games!

1. Rock a Katniss Braid:This simple look is great for everyday use, especially for long study days when you want your hair out of your face or want to try out a new hair look on the weekend. This look is best for medium to long hair and works with most hair types. Here are the simple steps:
A. Part your hair on the right. The part should not be too deep. I like mine above the arch of my eyebrow, but everyone’s hair parts differently.
B. Take a small area of the hair from about your left temple to your part and begin a Dutch braid. A Dutch braid, or standing braid, is just like a French braid, but instead of weaving the hair over, you weave and add under the previous strand. For an easy tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Dutch-Braid
C. Begin to braid the hair from the front left section at a gentle angle down below your right ear.
D. When you have no more hair to add to the braid, continue braiding the hair below you right ear so that the braid falls in front of your right shoulder. Secure with an elastic.
E. I sometimes have to use bobby pins in some trouble areas, such as the front left section, which sometimes has too much volume. The final look should be sleek and sporty if you pull all the hair back, or a little more flirty if you leave out some of your front bangs. Just don’t do what I did and attempt a mini Snooki poof.
F. For a full video tutorial, check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HckjeKzs-Ek

2. Effie Trinket and the Capitol:The Marie Antoinette look-a-like has some very crazy but always girly and feminine fashion. To add your own dose of Effie, look for flirty shapes, like poufy sleeves and dresses that cinch at the waist, in bright colors like hot pink and turquoise. For a total look, add a floral headband, tease your hair to get extra volume, or wear some dramatic heels. To channel a look from the Capitol, get dressed by your 6-year-old sister, preferably in the dark, and you will have something very similar to what the elites of Panem wear.

3. District 12 Smokey Eyes:District 12’s main production is coal. Try this sultry makeup look in shades of grey and black on an evening out when you want some drama. For an easy How-to, I went to the experts: http://www.smokyeye.com/. If this look seems a little too extreme, you can try a simpler, day to day look with some simple silver or grey shadow and a light line of black eyeliner along the lashline with some mascara.

4. Katniss’s Arena Look:I do not expect anyone to go all out with hiking boots, green cargo pants, and a futuristic black rain jacket. Maybe something more subtle than an Eddie Bauer or L.L. Bean ad? To get a simple look, wear a black v-neck tee, olive colored pants or jeans tucked into brown boots, and a black, sporty jacket or, for Katniss’s District 12 look, a brown leather jacket.

5. Girl On Fire: Katniss’s theme surrounding her debut in the Capitol is “Girl on Fire,” inspired by the flames made by coal. Add your own spin on the look by wearing reds, oranges, yellows, and golds with black accessories. Try mixing them together (without looking like Mr. Heat Miser)! The Girl on Fire look is especially fun on nails. Paint them all one bright color (like the new Hunger Games-inspired line for China Glaze), or try this fun look, like the one Katniss wears during her interview and in the arena: http://www.refinery29.com/hunger-games-nails-art

6. Rep the Mockingjay: Although you may not own a Mockingjay pin like Katniss (or me!) to show your resistance to the Capitol, try incorporating birds and feathers, like a pretty patterned shirt, piece of jewelry, or feather hair extension.

7. Katniss at the Reaping: When Katniss volunteers at the Reaping to save her sister, the greyish color upon the whole scene is so melancholy, and most overlook how cute Katniss looks! To get this look, perfect for spring weather, wear a light blue dress or skirt, brown or black sandals, and your hair braided back or in a bun. A simple spring or summer outfit and perfect for bringing out your blue or grey eyes, like everyone from the Seam.
This list will get you through a week of fun Hunger Games looks!
Check out the movie, out on Friday, March 23, 2012.

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com