7 Spooky TV Shows for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner (if you didn’t know). Last week, we featured some scary movies to get you in the spooky spirit, and this week we are featuring some frightening TV shows. So, find the show that matches your vibe, and let the binge-watching begin!

If you’re feeling nostalgic…Stranger Things

Stranger Things has taken world by storm, and needs no introduction. With its 80s-throwback vibe, fascinating mystery, and likeable characters, it quickly became a fan favorite when it debuted in Summer of 2016. The second season premieres on Netflix on October 27th, just in time for Halloween.   

If you want a throwback…The X-Files

The X-Files was one of the most popular series of the 1990s, and has recently been revived on FOX. The show follows FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully as they investigate paranormal activity. Some of the episodes are lighter in fare, but there are some that are downright terrifying. The range of the show makes it perfect for everyone, as you can find the episode that has the right “fright-factor” for you. Be warned: once you start watching, it might be hard to stop. Seasons 1-9 of The X-Files can be viewed on Hulu.

If you want some campy horror…American Horror Story

American Horror Story, a show from the brain of Glee creator Ryan Murphy, has been the talk of pop culture since it premiered in 2011. Over the course of its seven seasons, the show has run the gamut from terrifying to funny to high drama. If you want to avoid the frightening seasons, try checking out season three, Coven. Between Emma Roberts and Jessica Lange, the drama is in overdrive, making for the perfect campy horror show! All seasons, including Coven, can be found on Hulu.

If you want something really weird…Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks was first popular when it debuted in the early 90s, but waned as time went on. However, this summer, the show returned for its hotly anticipated third season. While Twin Peaks seems like a simple murder mystery at the beginning, it quickly turns to surreal and supernatural elements, and constantly leaves the viewer asking “What?” If you want to seriously commit to a show, Twin Peaks could be the right fit for you! Twin Peaks can be viewed with a Showtime subscription.

If you want something funny…Scream Queens

If you prefer to laugh instead of scream, Scream Queens is the show for you. Another show by Ryan Murphy, Scream Queens is a slasher style mystery show that follows a series of murders at a college sorority. While it can get bloody at times, the show is mostly just funny. Lea Michele, Emma Roberts, and Jamie Lee Curtis star in this show. Scream Queens can be streamed on Hulu.

If you want a recent release…Mindhunter

If you have seen everything on this list, you might want to check out a more recent release. Mindhunter, a drama about FBI agents who interview serial killers, dropped on Netflix on October 13. The show stars Jonathan Groff (of Glee and Hamilton fame) and looks pretty scary. The creepiness factor of this show comes from the fact that it is inspired by true events, so lock the doors and start watching!

If you want something quick and original…Harper’s Island

This last entry is for those who watched all of the spooky shows on this list. Harper’s Island has most likely flown under the radar of even the biggest TV fanatics. The show premiered in 2009 and followed Abby Mills as she returned to her hometown of Harper’s Island to celebrate her friend’s wedding. The twist? She is returning for the first time, seven years after her mother and several other townspeople were murdered. What follows over the course of 13 episodes is an And Then There Were None style mystery as guests are killed one by one. I watched this show when it first aired and loved it. It’s a great spooky mystery show that everyone needs to see! Check it out on Hulu or Amazon Prime.  

Main image source 

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.