50 Shades of Obsession: As Told by a Southern Christian Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

The current wave sweeping the nation is the novel 50 Shades of Grey. The erotic, page-turning novel by British author E L James is literally falling off the book shelves and into the hands of young women and wives everywhere. The story centers on Anastasia Steele, a 22 year old college grad, who meets Christian Grey, a self-made millionaire and CEO. Anastasia soon learns Christian’s secret life of BDSM and has to decide to be with him or not. The story continues in a trilogy (50 Shades Darker and 50 Shades Freed), which explores the development of Christian and Ana’s love and relationship.

The story was originally a Twilight fan-fiction starring Edward Cullen and Bella Swan titled Master of the Universe. It gained popularity throughout blogs and author E L James decided to change the characters and began publishing it on her own blog. She then re-wrote parts of the fiction and published it into a three part novel, thus creating the beginning of 50 Shades of Grey.

The book has garnered a lot of controversy because of its mature subject matter. The book explores the BDSM lifestyle of Dominants and Submissives. Some have wondered if this opens up lines of abuse, although it clearly states in the novel the idea of consensual “hard and soft limits” between Ana and Christian. There is no shying away from any of the details. Some people believe that this book is the end of literature as we know it, but is it really that serious? This novel isn’t out to win the Pulitzer Prize, it’s just for women to have something to read without feeling guilty.

There has also been some flack about who is reading the book. Critics are worried that young girls (under 17) will start reading the book and believe that Christian and Ana have a normal relationship. Obviously, with any mature subject matter, people will worry that young people will become addicted or interested, but it’s like a rated R movie. It’s up to the parents to monitor what their kids are reading, not the critics.

Celebrities everywhere have been reading and praising the book. Everyone from KeKe Palmer to Selena Gomez to Ryan Seacrest have been tweeting all about it. They are all clamoring to play the main characters in the novel in the upcoming movie.

My first encounter with 50 Shades of Grey was earlier this summer when I was watching The View. The author was on the show and was talking about her passion to write an erotic novel that she felt she had write in her lifetime. From my friends who had read the book, they absolutely hated it. They were critiquing the writing style of the author and just totally bashed the book. They didn’t seem to enjoy the story line, and I personally think they just wanted to join the hate train. I wanted to decide for myself. I take pride in having read 75% of the banned book list, and being that 50 Shades of Grey is a risqué novel, I knew that it might be up my alley. After reading the first 20 pages I was ADDICTED! I could not put it down, and six days later I had read all three books! The story line is so addicting and I started to connect with the characters and their well-being. My only problem with the book is that when drama happens it drops like a hot cake and then it’s over (but there’s A LOT of drama so it keeps it going).

Don’t think that 50 Shades of Grey is for you? Well that’s what I thought too. I’m a reserved (too a certain extent), Southern Christian girl who’s never had a boyfriend and I absolutely loved 50 Shades. And trust me, it doesn’t take much to make me uncomfortable, and the 50 Shades books do not shy away from any of the daring sexy details. I have fallen in love with the series and I definitely cannot wait for the movie to come out! I think that if you even have a small urge to read 50 Shades of Grey, DO IT! If you’re looking for a summer book that will tide you over until the fall season of TV starts, read 50 Shades of Grey.

For those of you have the read the books, who do you want to see in the movie? I personally want to see Alex Pettyfer and Lily Collins. Comment below and “Laters baby!”

Abbey is a senior at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Majoring in Art and Art History, she hopes to go into the publishing world after graduating and presently leads The Colonial Echo and contributes to The Virginia Informer as Photo Editor. Abbey also worked as a Photo Intern at Inked Magazine.