5 Ways to Feel Powerful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Source

Power (n.) (as defined by Merriam-Webster): The ability to act or produce an effect. Every day we wake up we have the power to change ourselves, and yes as corny as it sounds, change how the world sees us for that day. Honestly, it can be hard to get up every day and get motivation to go through our days, so without further ado I want to talk about what makes me feel powerful:

1. I feel powerful when: I throw on my favorite shade of red lipstick. It’s not just a me thing. The “red-dress” effect is real and red looks good in all seasons. Studies show that whether you’re wearing red lipstick, a red shirt or a red dress, you’re seen as more confident and more appealing to others. 

Source

2.   I feel powerful when: I go to the gym. The endorphins released from hitting the gym are serious business my friends. These endorphins can reduce your perception to pain and trigger positive emotions within your body that get you pumped for the day. 

Source

3.   I feel powerful when: I make my bed. No joke, making your bed can give you such a feeling of accomplishment and get you started on the ever-growing list of tasks that you have to complete before you go to sleep. Even if the only real task you complete the whole day is making your bed, you still fall asleep in a made-up bed, and let’s be real, what else could you possibly want?

Source

4.   I feel powerful when: I practice my power positions. If any of the above reasons weren’t enough, studies show that you can actually practice certain positions that’ll literally alter your body language so you appear more confident to others. You have to practice a few times, but eventually you’ll not only be more confident but you’ll reduce stress — here’s a video explaining the concept. And if you’re confused at first, always remember — fake it ‘til you make it.

Source

5.   I feel powerful when:  I’m nice. It seems lame but honestly, I never feel as happy or as confident as when I make a friend or even a random stranger smile. Acts of kindness can go a long way, holding the door open for people, sharing an umbrella, helping someone when they’ve spilled their stuff on the floor. Every day there are so many little nagging things that could make me upset and being nice isn’t easy, but it’s worth it.

Source

These are just a couple of the things that make me feel powerful and like I can take on the world. Sometimes you’ve got to get up and make yourself feel awesome. Just another reminder that you’ve got all the power in the world and the freedom to make your own decisions every single day, so slay. *Inserts hair flipping emoji*

Source

W&M '19. If you aren't talking mac and cheese, Coldplay or Beyoncé, I don't want to talk