5 Tips to Rock Halloween on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

There’s so much untapped creativity in our minds that the options for Halloween costumes are unlimited. If we just use our imagination, there’s nothing we can’t do. Something on this list is bound to help you have that cool Halloween costume and also not break your wallet. The main thing to keep mind mind is: colors and shapes. Always look up what you want online to get an idea about what colors go with your costume and if there are any important shapes to consider.

1. Upcycle old clothes from your wardrobe.

This is a big one because there no “rule” that you have to look exactly like what you’re going for. A general idea gives your costume more character than any store bought costume would. For example, if you have a red T-shirt, a yellow/orange T-shirt, and yellow/orange pants, then you could cut the bottom off the red shirt, making it essentially a crop top, and wear it overtop the yellow shirt. You’ve now created a “Winnie the Pooh” costume. If you wanted an accessory, you could find a jar or bucket and label it “honey”

2. Search Pinterest for ideas to get started.

This is easy to do because all you’re looking for is a general idea and maybe you can find a “how to” for something you’re unsure how to do. There’s nothing wrong with not knowing how to do something. Once you find out a list of steps to do it, then you should give it a try. Your costume doesn’t have to be 100% perfect!

3. Go to thrift stores!

They’re bound to have all sorts of clothing to help you accomplish you goal. Most of what you’ll find is very cheap. Upcycling something you find there could be very helpful in adding to what you may have at home! It’s also a great source of accessories, if you’ve already got the rest of the costume completed. Always be sure to wash and disinfect anything received from a thrift store, especially hats and shoes!

4. The Dollar Store can be helpful.

If you need something to quickly repair clothing, or to find more accessories, the Dollar Store is another great resource. Obviously quality isn’t 100%, but the memories made will be overwhelmingly full of quality that the costume won’t matter by the end of the night. It’s also a great place to find glowsticks to add onto your costume for safety.

5. Reuse a costume from a past year.

If you’re really into something from the past, there’s nothing saying you can’t have the same costume again. Get the most use you can out of the costume! Especially if you did put money into a more expensive one! This can also go for sharing costumes amongst friends. If you switch your costumes around after wearing them then they will still get use and you’ll get to wear something new, if that’s what you want.

Stay safe and have a Spooky Halloween!

Main image source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.