5 Small Things You Can Do To Help The Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Image from Google

As with any lifestyle change, it can seem daunting to jump headfirst into a life of environmentalism and sustainability. But, if you start small, your little changes can help the Earth in a big way. Here are 5 small changes you can make as a William and Mary student!

1. Make a conscious effort to recycle and compost.

Recycling is quite possibly the easiest thing you can do. There are so many recycling receptacles on campus, that all you have to do is put your paper, bottle, or can into the recycling container instead of the trash.

Composting can be trickier, but if you eat in Marketplace or other dining halls, they have a pretty foolproof system to help you know what to compost and what minimal trash you should send to the landfill. If you live off campus and cook your own meals, check out some online tutorials to learn how you can start your own mini composting project.

2. Use reusable bags.

If you went through Orientation, or have attended any sort of campus event, you probably have at least one reusable bag—The College just loves to give them away! Get into a habit of leaving them in your car (or carrying them with you) so when you stop by the store, you can throw your purchases in your bag.

If you are not a fan of the flimsy cotton bags, you can invest in sturdier, decorative ones. If you don’t want to buy special bags, your favorite oversize tote can carry your books and some of your groceries.

3. Walk anytime you have the chance.

If you are an upperclassman living off campus, you probably have a car and a parking pass. With this perk, it can be tempting to drive to campus every day. But if you want to reduce emissions, consider walking from your off-campus lodging to class. If you have a safe path, and enough time, walking to class can be extremely relaxing (and it’s a great workout). Put on your favorite playlist or podcast and get steppin’.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to walk, but also want to cut down on emissions, you can take public transportation. The bus lines and the trolley are easy to use and William & Mary students can ride for free with their student ID.

4. Carry a reusable water bottle.

This is another easy one. Carry a reusable water bottle with you. You will always be able to fill it up at the numerous water fountains throughout campus. And you will save money when you are no longer purchasing disposable water bottles.

5. Take shorter showers.

This is a difficult one. It’s nice to take a long, hot shower, but that relaxing shower wastes so much water. Try to shorten your showers by a minute each week, until you have reached optimum shower time. The earth (and your roommates) will thank you!

Thumbnail image from Google 

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.