5 Reasons Why You Should Get Involved on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Getting involved in campus can happen in a number of ways. Whether you join a service or social sorority or fraternity, join a community engagement program, try out for a singing or comedy group, or even see what kind of common interest groups you school has to offer, what you end up doing is for you to decide. Here’s why it’s a good idea to jump start your college experience by getting involved.

Image Source

1. Getting involved fills in the empty spots in your schedule.

Sure, it may seem nice having an afternoon or two during the week where you get to do nothing and relax. But honestly, as the semester goes on you’ll find yourself wishing you had something to do during those breaks. Having something to do to fill your time is wonderful, whether you spend a day during the week tutoring kids or use up your free time to write for one of the many news outlets or writing platforms on campus.

2. You could learn more about and become active with a specific cause.

You are on a campus that has such a diverse population of students and surrounding community. By becoming an active part of this campus, you can delve into the world of social justice and learn about what is happening within the campus community and within the community of the surrounding cities.

3. It is a good resume booster.

Of course, this should not be the only reason you do things on campus. But should you choose to get involved, what you do might fluff up your resume. Especially if you decide to apply for a position. But just being an active part of your community will show future employers that you take initiative and work hard. And I’m sure that having one or two more things to add to your resume is an extra added bonus to getting out there and doing great things on campus.

4. Find your “people” or group.

When you come to college, you start out not knowing where you fit in. You ask yourself, “Will I ever belong?”, and honestly, it’s okay to be asking yourself that question. Because that means you’re aware of the transition to college and what that means. Finding your group or “your people” can seem scary at first. But if you put yourself out there, you’ll find a support system of friends who become your community and your lifeline for the next four (or less) years.

5. Explore/expand your interests.

It might seem rather easy when you get to college to feel like, “well I did xxxxx in high school, so obviously I’m going to do it in college.” And while it’s good to continue on with what you’re used to, it’s also good to find new things to do, too. You never know what you could be interested in until you try. You might actually find something that years after graduation you’ll still say “I’m glad I did that.”