5 Election Day Reminders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

This upcoming Tuesday, November 7, is an important day in the Commonwealth; it’s Virginia’s gubernatorial election! While it’s too late to register to vote in the election, it’s important to show up to the polls. Regardless of your political affiliation, you should make your voice heard. Here are some things to keep in mind, before you head out to rock the vote:

• Know your polling hours. In Virginia, the polls are open on election day from 6AM-7PM. While there may be long lines throughout the day, you will be allowed to cast your vote as long as you are in line, at your proper polling location, by 7PM.
  • Know your polling location. Look up where you are supposed to vote well before election day. Allow yourself adequate time to travel to your polling place.  
  • Make sure you have appropriate identification. To vote in Virginia, you must have a valid photo ID. Student ID cards (with a photograph), a Virginia’s driver’s license, a US passport, or a Virginia issued photo ID all count.
  • Know your candidates. Regardless of who you are voting for, your vote should be an informed vote. You can check out individual candidate’s websites for more information about their platform. Additionally, you can the Campus Election Engagement Project’s website and view their non-partisan voter guides.
  • Know your rights. After some controversy during last year’s presidential election, the legality of the so called “ballot selfie” came into question. According to current Attorney General Mark Herring, Virginia voters can use their cell phones to take pictures inside the voting booth to post to social media. The one caveat is that the post must not interfere with the other voters, or the election.

If you have any other questions about election day, check out the Virginia Department of Election’s website. There you can find answers to FAQs, sample ballots, and general information about elections.

Main image source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.