Election Hero Imagespng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Imagespng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Wellness

4 Ways to Become Eco-Friendly with Hygiene Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Winter break is over! Classes have started, but for some, they are virtual. All upperclassmen who live on-campus must wait to return after two weeks of virtual classes from home. Since I am one of those upperclassmen, I’ve been a hermit in my room doing schoolwork, but I move back in this weekend! When I started packing my toiletries, I couldn’t help but notice how much space my bottles of shampoo and conditioner took up. It’s also so wasteful since they’re made of plastic, so I hit the internet to research how I could be more sustainable and save some packing space! 

1. Switch from liquid bottles to solid bars

You can actually get your shampoo, conditioner, body wash and facial products in bars. Ethique has bars for specific hair types and skin types, and they also come in cute mini hearts to test out if you don’t want to fully commit. If you’re looking for more brands, LUSH also has some great options. You can keep each bar in a small, reusable metal or glass container, so you’re saving the Earth and saving space! 

1. Use bamboo toothbrushes

Think about how many plastic toothbrushes you have thrown away in your lifetime. Most of them won’t decompose within your lifetime as it takes about 1000 years to decompose. The solution: bamboo toothbrushes! There are many brands selling these sustainable items, but I found WooBamboo Adult Bamboo Brushes the best. It comes in zero-waste packaging, and you can pick the feel and color of the bristles. 

1. Try toothpaste and mouthwash tablets

Since we are on the topic of dental hygiene, I’d suggest switching from your toothpaste tubes your liquid mouthwash to tablets! The packaging ranges from glass containers to biodegradable bags across brands. Preferences vary, so make sure to do your research, such as whether the tablets have sustainable fluoride. Not only is this environmentally friendly, but the tablets are mess-free and will easily pass through security at an airport!

1. Invest in safety razors

This might not be as easy of a switch, but practice makes perfect and I promise it’s worth it. The EPA estimates back in 1990 that American’s threw out two billion disposable razors. While using safety razors is environmentally friendly, it is also economically responsible. Instead of buying a whole new razor, you just replace the blades with a refill pack. For those tight shaves around the ankle and knee, I’d recommend the Eco Roots Rose Gold Safety Razor. It comes with five free razor blades the first time, and the Refill Pack is $3.95 for 10 blades. 

Hi, I'm Olive and I am a sophomore at W&M majoring in Biology and minoring in English. I am passionate about the environment, women's rights, and literature!
Major: History/Government Other Involvements: Phi Mu social sorority, Academic Calendar Advisory Committee, Student Leadership Foundation Hobbies: creating dream fashion Pinterest boards, painting canvases, cooking and baking delicious dishes