26 Last-Minute Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Short on time and in need of some easy, creative costume ideas? Look no further!

1) Twister

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: A white outfit, scissors, glue or safety pins, green, yellow, blue and red felt/construction paper

WHAT TO DO: Cut out 3-5 circles each of your different colored paper/felt, and strategically pin them to a white outfit to reflect a Twister board

2) Christmas present

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Wrapping paper (typically available year-round at Walgreens or Target for under $5), large wrapping bow, matching ribbon (optional) tape, scissors

WHAT TO DO: Cut out 1-2 large swaths of wrapping paper and wrap it around yourself, taping the edges together, or to a pair of shorts or tube dress underneath. Fold over the edges and tape them for a more tailored look. You can also run a length of ribbon from the top to the bottom of the wrapping paper dress, and a second one around your waist to form a cross over which to paste your bow

3) Morton Salt girl

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Yellow dress, white tights, flats, umbrella (preferably white), Morton salt container (optional)

WHAT TO DO: Nothing! Grab your props and head out in style like Elle Fanning here

4) Skeleton

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Loose black shirt, tight white top, scissors, black and white face paint (optional)

WHAT TO DO: Follow this template to strategically cut your black shirt into a skeletal design, or use Martha’s guide for more detailed instructions. For spooky, fabulous makeup, follow this Buzzfeed guide.

5) Wilson from Castaway

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: White shirt, red sharpie

WHAT TO DO: Simply draw cinema’s favorite volleyball on a plain white shirt. If you want a more fashionable look, get creative with a tight white dress and/or tutu and pin a construction paper Wilson the front. Bonus points if you get your boyfriend to dress as Tom Hanks

6) Rose the Riveter

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Denim button-down, red bandana, red lipstick

WHAT TO DO: Pull your hair back in a high up-do and tie the bandana around your head. Roll up your sleeves and work that feminist icon look

7) Cheesy tourist

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Hawaiian shirt, socks and sandals, fanny pack, lei (optional), floppy hat (optional), camera (optional), sunblock (optional)

WHAT TO DO: Apply a generous glob of sunblock to your nose and get creative with accessories

8) Death Eater

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Black outfit, black marker

WHAT TO DO: Follow this template to draw a Dark Mark on your forearm, and wear your most intimidating black outfit. Azkaban sign optional. 

9) Barbie

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Tight pink dress, pink lipstick, heels

WHAT TO DO: Wear your most obnoxiously pink clothes, and throw in some accessories for one of Barbie’s themed looks

10) Francophone

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Striped shirt, ballet flats, suspenders, plain red kerchief or scarf (optional), beret (optional)

WHAT TO DO: If you have a red kerchief, tie it around your neck, and experiment with red lipstick

Source

OR:

Source

11) Wednesday Addams

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Black dress, white blouse or button-down, black tights and shoes

WHAT TO DO: Braid your hair into two plaits on either side of your face, and wear a black dress over a white top with the collar showing

12) Unicorn

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: White paper, a headband, glue or tape, scissors, any white sparkly or ethereal looking outfit

WHAT TO DO: Cut the paper into an elongated triangle and roll it to form a cone, taping the edges. Secure this onto a headband either with glue or lots of tape. Follow this tutorial for more detailed instructions on how to get this exact look!

13) Precious mineral

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Metallic dress or outfit, marker, face or body paint (optional)

WHAT TO DO: Dress in as much silver or gold as you can, and write the periodic element (Au or Ag for gold and silver, respectively) on your chest or a nametag to make it obvious

14) Jean Valjean from Les Misérables

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Black & white striped shirt or any raggedy outfit, a nametag

WHAT TO DO: You probably won’t look exactly like this baby, but you get the idea. Dress as a generic prisoner or raggedy miscreant, then slap on a nametag with “24601” and you’re good to go

15) A bear

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Furry vest, brown shirt or dress

WHAT TO DO: Use black eyeliner or face paint to draw a nose and whiskers of your face, and pull your hair into two nubbins for ears. Wear a (fake!) fur vest over your outfit if you have one 16) Scarecrow

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Flannel button-down, floppy hat, boots, overalls (optional)

WHAT TO DO: Use black eyeliner to draw stitching extending from the corners of your mouth, a triangle nose, and spikes under your eyes. Use heavy blush on your cheeks, and to fill in your nose.

17) Jigsaw

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Red bowtie, black blazer, white button-down, face paint (optional)

WHAT TO DO: Use red face paint or lipstick to draw red spirals on your cheeks, and black eyeliner to draw two vertical lines extending down from the corners of your mouth. Dark, heavy eye makeup and a white face are an added bonus

18) Regina George

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: White tank, colorful bra, scissors, black mini skirt

WHAT TO DO: Cut two large circles in the front of tank and practice your best Mean Girls quotes 19) Thing 1

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Red dress or top, blue skirt and/or various blue accessories, white paper, scissors and safety pins

WHAT TO DO: Cut out a large circle and write “Thing 1,” and pin it to your stomach or chest 20) Cowgirl

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Flannel or gingham button-down, jeans, cowboy boots, cowboy hat (optional)

WHAT TO DO: Braid your hair into two long braids and tie the ends of your button-down into a knot

21) Hester Prynne/Easy A

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Red paper (or white paper and a red sharpie), scissors, safety pins

WHAT TO DO: Cut out a large letter A and pin it to your chest

22) Risky business

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Oversized white button-down, spandex shorts, white socks, sunglasses

WHAT TO DO: Pull the white socks over some ballet flats so it looks like you’re not wearing shoes, and throw on a pair of shades.

23) Katniss Everdeen

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Leather jacket, black shirt, green pants, boots, printer and safety pin

WHAT TO DO: Tie your hair into a long side-braid and print out this mocking jay image, pinning it onto your jacket.

Pin:

24) Pop art character

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Marker or face paint, 50’s or 60’s themed outfit

WHAT TO DO: Use this guide to color your face like a character in an old comic book or Roy Lichtenstein painting.

25) Dexter victim

WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Saran wrap, spandex shorts, red paint

WHAT TO DO: Wrap gratuitous amounts of Saran wrap around yourself to form a dress, or over your torso and spandex to make a two-piece. Layer in splashes of red paint as you go to look like blood.

And finally, the easiest costume of them all:

26) Facebook Happy Halloween!