Aubree Brabham?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Aubree Brabham?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

2020 TikTok Fashion Trends – Hit or Miss?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

2020 has been a long year. When quarantine boredom hit, teens and young adults flocked to social media platforms to keep up with their friends. One of the most popular apps, TikTok, has been a place for teens and adults to get style inspiration from big creators, including Charli D’Amelio and Addison Rae. Let’s take a look back at some of the biggest style trends that came from Tiktok this past year and determine whether they were hot or not.

The first trend is tie-dye! It became popular this year to wear tie-dye t-shirts, sweatshirts, or even matching sweatshirt and sweatpants combos. Charli even promoted the look on her Instagram. Matching sets became so popular that they can be found in mainstream fashion stores, such as Old Navy and Forever 21. Tie-dye first became popular in the 1960’s, when it was used as a way to protest the Vietnam War, but it has stayed “in” ever since. Tie-dye is very versatile, and can be used to add a pop of color to any outfit. I love that it has been used in lounge-wear, and makes low-effort fashion look great! Tie-dye was definitely a hit this year.

The next trend I’ve seen frequently, and especially during the summer, is 90’s style sunglasses. TikTok creators such as Jordan Nataé added them to match their outfits or to add an accessory. The sunglasses seem to function as more of an added piece to complement the look rather than to keep the sun out of their eyes, but they’re cute nonetheless. Many famous celebrities also rocked this style in the 1990’s when they first became popular, from Lisa Bonet to Ellen DeGeneres. The sunglasses are also easy to find, with affordable prices on Amazon. Because of the long-lasting style of the glasses and the affordability, I think that 90’s glasses were a hit this year!

Another trend I’ve seen going around is putting collared shirts under sweatshirts. I’m not sure where this one originated, but both men and women have pulled it off. Big creators have jumped on the bandwagon. This trend is great for the fall and winter months, but it can even be done during the summer. How you may ask? With fake collars! It’s all the style without the sweat. They can be found on Amazon. This trend can be sported all year round, and it adds a cute layered affect to your tops. This trend was definitely a hit!

Super distressed jeans are also making their way around TikTok. The jeans range from having a few holes to being almost full cutouts. The jeans can be paired with a t-shirt or crop top for a summer look, or with a sweater for an early fall fit. I haven’t seen jeans like these in the past, so they are a relatively new style. However, even though the jeans are easy to style, most expensive. Additionally, I don’t particularly like the look. I’d rather put on a pair of my favorite mom-jeans. Some people may enjoy this style, but I’m going to have to say it was a miss this year.

Overall, 2020 has been filled with style trends that echo back to previous decades, like the 60’s and 90’s. Creators are finding a way to make older styles attractive to the younger generation. TikTok has a lot of potential for being able to spread styles quickly, so we’ll have to see what 2021 brings!

Major: History/Government Other Involvements: Phi Mu social sorority, Academic Calendar Advisory Committee, Student Leadership Foundation Hobbies: creating dream fashion Pinterest boards, painting canvases, cooking and baking delicious dishes