jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

17 Entertainment Picks of 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It should come to no one’s surprise that I am an entertainment junkie. In 2017, I’ve read 80 books (a number I will surely add to in the remaining weeks of the year), listened to thousands of minutes of music (thanks, Spotify Wrapped), and watched countless movies and TV shows. Some things were fantastic (looking at you, Lady Bird), while others left something to be desired. As the year comes to a close, here are my top 17 picks in entertainment for the year 2017.  

Theatre:

1. Dear Evan Hansen

Image from Wikipedia 

When you initially describe the plot of Dear Evan Hansen to someone, you are often met with a look of confusion. While the serious, and sometimes sad, plot may be off-putting to some, everyone needs to give this beautiful musical a chance. With moments of light and laughter, an incredible score, and larger message of understanding and acceptance, it’s no wonder this show has taken Broadway by storm.

2. Come From Away

​Image from Giphy

Come From Away tells the story of what happened on September 11, 2001, when planes had to be diverted from US airspace. When these passengers landed in Newfoundland, they were met with kindness and open arms. A surprise hit of the 2016-2017 Broadway season, Come From Away was the show we all needed in 2017; a show that demonstrates what can happen when we all show each other kindness and love.

3. A Doll’s House Part 2

Photo from The Hollywood Reporter 

Lucas Hnath’s play is a companion of sorts to Henrik Ibsen’s classic, A Doll’s House. Hnath’s play, an imagining of what happened when Nora returned years after abandoning her family, was a timely play produced in 2017. Touching on themes of women’s liberation and empowerment, A Doll’s House Part 2 had everyone advocating for more girl power. 

Books:

4. The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli  

Image from Amazon

Becky Albertalli’s The Upside of Unrequited is the perfect YA read, even for those who may consider themselves to be too old to read the genre. A love story about Molly and her sister, that is so rooted in reality, anyone can relate to it. What makes the book even better is Albertalli’s effort to be as inclusive as possible, including fully developed characters of all backgrounds. 5/5 stars!

5. Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu

Image from Amazon

Jennifer Mathieu’s Moxie could not have been published at a better time. Detailing what happens when high school girls decide to stand up for themselves in the name of feminism and women’s rights, Moxie discusses all sorts of issues about feminism, including what it means to be a feminist and intersectionality, in an entertaining and readable way.

6. Chemistry by Weike Wang

Image from Amazon

Chemistry almost buzzed by my radar, but I am so glad I picked up on it. Telling the story of what happens when your life-long dream is your dream no longer, I’m sure many collegiettes approaching graduation will be touched by this novel.  

7. Everything You Want Me To Be by Mindy Mejia

Image from Amazon

A thriller that is written like literary fiction. Everything You Want Me To Be is the story of Hattie, a high school actress who is murdered on the opening night of her play. Exploring what happened leading up to her death, as well as the impact her death has on the community, Everything You Want Me To Be is an engaging read that is not to be missed.

Films:

8. Coco

Image from Giphy

Some may write animated films off as only for children, but Coco was one of the best Pixar films I have seen in a long time. A thoughtful story, incredible music, and beautiful colors are only some of the reasons Coco was one of my favorite films of the year. Check it out, but make sure to bring your tissues.

9. Lady Bird

​Image from Giphy

I’ve already reviewed Lady Bird in detail, so I will just say this: any movie that can make me laugh and then cry, then laugh again in a span of five minutes is a fantastic film. I hope it rakes in all of the prizes this awards season.

10. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

​Image from Giphy

A late addition to this list, I was excited to see the latest Star Wars, but a little disappointed by the first half. Thankfully, the final half of the film won me over. Star Wars has always embraced girl power, and it’s nice to see that it’s including even more female heroes in the later installments of the franchise. You can’t go wrong with Star Wars. Now all I need is a film about the First Order starring Adam Driver and Domhnall Gleeson.

Music:

11. Ed Sheeran’s Divide

​Image from Giphy

Somehow, I doubt Ed Sheeran has ever written a bad song, and Divide is the perfect example of his range of talent. With songs ranging from jams like “Shape of You” and “Galway Girl,” to beautiful tearjerkers like “Perfect” and “Happier,” Divide may be his best album yet.

12. Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812

​Image from Giphy

While this could have been included in the theatre category, the music of The Great Comet cast album is some of the most innovative of the year. Written entirely by composer Dave Malloy, this album covers a 75-page section of War and Peace through a variety of music genres. Classical, pop, electronic dance, Broadway…the list goes on and on. Bonus: Josh Groban is featured on the cast album, and who wouldn’t want to listen to him sing all day.

13. Benj Pasek and Justin Paul

​Image from Giphy

I’m going to say it: 2017 has been the year of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. Not only did they win an Oscar for their contributions to La La Land, they also won a Tony for their work on Dear Evan Hansen. As if that weren’t enough, they also wrote the music for Zac Efron’s latest film, The Greatest Showman. While some may write Pasek and Paul off as just musical theatre composers, their pop based songs are fun to listen to, often while containing a deeper message. Go ahead and make yourself a Pasek and Paul playlist—you won’t regret it.

14. “Cut to the Feeling” by Carly Rae Jepsen

​Image from Giphy

Carly Rae Jepsen’s latest song was the song of the summer (at least in my opinion). Catchy, fun, and easy to dance to, sometimes we all just need something fun and light to make us smile!

Television:

15. Riverdale

​Image from Giphy

Riverdale was the show of 2017. A unique, mysterious, romantic show that is the perfect replacement for Pretty Little Liars, Riverdale became must-see TV. Let’s hope we get some more answers regarding the Black Hood in 2018, because I for one don’t buy that “big reveal.”

16. The Sinner

​Image from Giphy

Miniseries have become a hot trend in television, and this late summer addition starring Jessica Biel was engaging television. In only eight episodes, viewers learned why seemingly mild-mannered Cora murdered a man on the beach one sunny afternoon. The Sinner’s strength lied in its perfect pacing, revealing just enough each episode to answer questions, while keeping the suspense in place for next week. If you missed this one, it’s the perfect winter break binge!

17. Legion

​Image from Giphy

A show that is tangentially connected to the Marvel universe, Legion is a look at what happens when a psychiatric hospital may house mutants instead of patients. It is hard to describe Legion without giving too much away, so watch all eight, trippy episodes, and catch season two when it premieres in 2018. 

Main image courtesy of Vimeo

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.