12 Halloween Group Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

October 31st is quickly approaching, which means it’s time to start planning costumes! Deciding what ghoulish creature or stunning celebrity you want to dress up as can be difficult, so trying to figure out what your ENTIRE group of friends could go as can be almost impossible. Thankfully, there are lots of creative people in this world who have some amazing ideas, one of which will hopefully be perfect for you and your friends. Even if none of these costumes appeal to you, they might inspire you to create an amazing group costume the world has never seen before!

Movie/ TV Show Costumes:

(photo credit: http://www.costume-works.com/contest2011/despicable_me_minions-5.html)

With so many great movies and shows to choose from, costume ideas are practically endless. Whether your group contains two people or twenty, you can definitely find a TV or movie cast to fit your needs.

·      The Minions from Despicable Me – Everyone’s favorite characters, the Minion craze is sweeping the nation

·      Avengers/ X-Men/ Batman/ Superhero movies – With a cast of kick-butt heroes and memorable villains, superhero movies provide the perfect for costume ideas

·      Wizard of Oz – Put on a pair of red shoes and a blue dress and BAM! You’re Dorothy. 

·      Alice in Wonderland – From the Cheshire Cat to the Mad Hatter, dressing up as these crazy characters will be a blast. To twist things up, dress up as a character in the new Once Upon a Time in Wonderland TV series! 

·      And of course, Disney! Always a classic costume idea, dressing up as Disney characters never fails to be fun. But if you’re bored of Belle and find Sleeping Beauty tiresome, try switching things up and dress up as a Disney prince or one of the sidekicks. You could even have the guys in your group get in touch with their feminine side!

Game Character Costumes:

(photo credit: http://ideas.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/files/2012/11/best-group-costume-candy-land-23640-800×600.jpg)

Full of fun and crazy characters, games make great sources of Halloween costume ideas. Here are a few spectacular ones:

·      Candy Land – If you don’t know this childhood classic, go to your duty office right now and play it! Between Princess Lollypop and Major Mint, Candy Land has lots of quirky characters to choose from

·      Mario Party/Mario Cart/ every other Mario game – Mario and Luigi make the perfect couples costume, but dressing up as the whole cast with all your friends can be just as fun!

·      Clue – Keep your wits about you if you dress up as Clue characters, because one of your friends is the killer!

Food Costumes:

(photo credit: http://ideas.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/files/2012/09/coolest-candy-costume-5872.jpg)

Who doesn’t like to dress up as their favorite treat? With so many competing brands, food and drinks are great options for a larger group costume.

·      Candy Bars – Yummy to eat and simple costumes to make,  candy bar costumes are great for a large group of friends

·      Pepsi/ Coke products- This may be a Pepsi campus, but feel free so show your preference on Halloween!

·      Cereal Characters – They’re ggrrreeeaaattt! Dressing up as the Trix Bunny is not just for kids.

·      M&Ms- Quick and easy, you can get a group together and dress up as all the different colors.

Find an idea you like? Make a group trip to Goodwill or go rummaging through your closet to find the stuff you need to make a great costume!