10 Tips to Surviving Bid Day at William & Mary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

With a whopping 32% of the William and Mary student body going Greek at some point in their college career, hundreds of girls have devoted the past two weekends (a HUGE sacrifice) to participate in sorority recruitment. Sunday, September 11, will be the cherry on top of the cake. Bid Day is perhaps one of the most memorable high points of the Greek year as all sorority members, new and old, welcome their newest sisters.

1. Mentally prepare. Bid Day is a long day of high energy. From the moment you open your door to receive your bid (YAY!!!) from your recruitment counselor, to saying goodbye to your new sisters at the end of the day, get ready to be on your a-game. Although recruitment is technically over, keep your sparkling personality up so your new sisters don’t get the wrong vibe!
  2. Dress the part. Bid Day will be your first taste of arguably one of the biggest perks of Greek life- FREE SWAG. When you are finally amongst your new sorority, you’ll get your bid day t-shirt! The best idea is to wear a tank so that you can just throw the shirt on overtop until you have time to change later. No need to flash your entire new chapter.
  3. Capture moments. If you’re anything like me, the more photos you can take, the better. Don’t be afraid to bring along your camera! Although there will be professional photographers floating around, snap some shots of you and your friends- old and new, sisters or not. Freshman? There’s nothing cuter than a picture of you and your hallmates will all of your different bids!
  4. Deodorize. Like recruitment, Bid Day is hot, long, and extremely social. Don’t forget to throw on some extra deodorant and maybe bring along some tic-tacs. Being the “smelly girl” is never the best first impression. 
  5. Stay on your toes. Frat guys love Bid Day as much as the next girl. Not only will they be lining the field to catch a glimpse of the newest pledges, but a select few will most likely uphold the tradition of streaking. That’s right– every year in recent history, a few guys have bared it all to add just a little more excitement to the day. You go, guys.
  6. Energize. After formal, philanthropy, skit, and pref rounds, you’re bound to be pooped. We don’t blame you! Just remember that everyone has been through the exact same ordeal and try to keep up the excitement! Down a RedBull or a 5 Hour Energy pre-bid to make sure you won’t fade in the first hour.
  7. Be open. You may have made a few rush crushes during recruitment rounds, but there are still plenty of more sisters to meet. Try not to limit yourself by only talking to girls that you’ve met. Everyone is excited to meet you whether it seems like it or not. So put yourself out there a bit and it’s sure to pay off.
  8. Strike a pose. The number of pictures taken on Bid Day is impressive to say the least. The first thing you’ll do with your sorority, besides hugging and frolicking, will be to pose for some professional pictures. Everyone has the option of buying them and chances are, you’ll really want one. So get ready to turn on that perfect smile and maybe some crazy poses to capture that memory forever.
  9. Take note. This is your first time really seeing the sorority in their natural habitat- no skits or videos. Try to sense the vibe of the girls and really let yourself gravitate to those who you really match up with. Each chapter has a huge variety of personalities so don’t let yourself get down because you don’t completely mesh with one of them. You’ll find your place.
  10.  Get excited! On the other side of Bid Day, the sisters are just as excited as you to gain some new family members! Whatever you do, do not be intimidated by your new sisters, especially upperclassmen. After all, they chose you!
Abbey is a senior at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Majoring in Art and Art History, she hopes to go into the publishing world after graduating and presently leads The Colonial Echo and contributes to The Virginia Informer as Photo Editor. Abbey also worked as a Photo Intern at Inked Magazine.
I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com