Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Zoom Weddings have been Gaining Traction: A Rundown and Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

My aunt had always envisioned a fall wedding in New York City, when the leaves had just barely started to change but the air was still warm. It would be outside and the wind would gently blow through as our close family sat and watched the ceremony. This was a narrative I had heard many times and helped her create. My aunt got just that: an outdoor wedding in the middle of fall in New York with a slight breeze… the part she didn’t plan was that it would be entirely conducted over Zoom. 

Lionsgate

Planning is Half the Fun  

Weddings are about celebrating love, but they are also a day that people look forward to (especially if you are anything like my aunt and have been planning on Pinterest for years). The event itself is exciting, but the planning is arguably just as exhilarating. While there are significantly less logistics that go into planning a virtual wedding, there are still aspects such as invitations, wedding dresses and guest lists that are still just as important.    

The Mute Button Saves the Day

At typical weddings, it’s normally the maid of honor that swoops in and saves the day; she gets the wine stain out of the bride’s dress or finds last minute flowers when the florist messes up the order. At a Zoom wedding, it’s the mute button that saves the day. Whether it is the flower girl who is singing her ABC’s during the ceremony or the bride’s grandfather having a small coughing fit, the mute button allows everyone to enjoy the ceremony.  

Two Felt Hearts on a wooden background
Image by Bruno /Germany from Pixabay

Background is Everything 

Finally, an opportunity to use the Pinterest board! The background is a perfect opportunity to be creative and make it feel more like the event that was initially planned. Using flowers, lights, balloons, etc., couples are able to create a background that is both aesthetically pleasing and unique to them. While the bride and groom are the central focus of the call, the background is present throughout the ceremony. Furthermore, the event feels more personalized to the couple if they are able to create a background.       

It’s a Wedding, Dress Like It! 

While a Zoom wedding may not have the same feel as an in-person wedding, the event should be just as special. By asking the guests to follow a dress code (that could be formal or casual depending on preference), the event feels more uniform. Unlike in-person weddings, guests are often unsure what to wear, so while it may seem unusual to specify what friends and family are supposed to wear on a Zoom call, it saves them confusion and stress. Especially amidst the pandemic, having an occasion to dress up is seldom. Weddings prove an opportunity to celebrate in style with friends and family!   

Instagram

It’s a deal! 

While a Zoom wedding may not be a couple’s dream, it is far more inexpensive. Zoom subscriptions start at $15 per month compared to wedding venues which often start around $10,000. It is also easier for friends and family to attend. Rather than scheduling an entire weekend to travel and attend the wedding, guests can attend from the comfort of their own homes, saving them time and money, making it more accessible. Moreover, couples are able to include more people because there is not a cost for each individual guest. Congratulations extended family; you just got an invite!     

Let’s Party 

Having a Zoom wedding does not exclude couples from having a celebration once it is safe to assemble a large group of people. The wedding reception is something the couple can look forward to; it’s the celebration that just keeps going! 

Courtesy of Freeform/Adam Taylor

While my aunt, like many brides today, was not dreaming of a Zoom wedding, she was still able to celebrate her relationship with her friends and family as virtual witnesses. I’m not going to lie, I was skeptical of the idea of a Zoom wedding, especially knowing how much my aunt had awaited this day. To my surprise, it was just as genuine and heartfelt as any in-person wedding. Zoom weddings are definitely non-traditional; they provide an opportunity to celebrate two people’s relationship and commitment to one another.   

Mackenzie is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in Political Science with a certificate in Education Policy. She loves running, coffee, and badger game days!