Zayn Malik Officially Quits One Direction: Everyone’s Worst Nightmare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It is with a heavy heart that I report to you all that Zayn Malik has officially left One Direction. Yes, you read that right. The unthinkable has happened. This is not a drill. Repeat, this is not a drill!

Now, for those of you living under a rock, let me catch you up. Zayn Malik is was *tears* one out of the five members of the insanely popular British boyband, One Direction. 

There had been rumors circling during the last week about Zayn wanting to leave the band, following different rumors about Zayn cheating on his fiancé, Perrie Edwards. Photos of him with another woman surfaced and prompted quite the tweet from Zayn (see below). Apparently, Zayn has always struggled with being in the spotlight, and we can only assume the recent events were major contributing factors to his decision to leave. 

Earlier today, One Direction released official statements from Zayn, the rest of the band, and the Simon Cowell (the man who created the band) on Facebook and Twitter. They reassure fans that One Direction will continue to be the world’s favorite boyband, just without Zayn.

Needless to say, the news has shocked the world. Five different hashtags are trending  worldwide. 

For Directioners everywhere, this is equivalent to the apocalypse. Now, this might seem a little extreme. Until you remember that ZAYN MALIK FREAKIN’ QUIT ONE DIRECTION. This is going to be hard for people to accept, so to distract ourselves from the fact that the world is basically ending, here are some favorite Zayn moments through the years:

When he refused to dance on X-Factor

When he got over that fear

When he made a prettier girl than you

When he got engaged to Perrie Edwards (and simultaneously crushed every Directioner’s heart)

When you got to go on a date with him

Finally, when he blessed the world with those high notes

We’ll miss you, Zayn.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!