This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Why right person wrong time isn’t real

Right person, wrong time. While the term is endearing, encouraging, even, the phrase is far from the truth. Whether your significant other was the one to use the term when ending the relationship, or friends and family, the term of endearment should be taken with the smallest grain of salt.

Just because something may present as unsolved, unfinished or was left with little-to-no closure, unfortunately unfinished business should not always have a different time period or an extended window. There is always a gray area when it comes to amicably-ended relationships, however that may be all the more reason to understand that they were never your person. For example, ending a relationship because of the distance in college. The right person will make it work, the right person will want to fight through the distance because they know the relationship is worth it and can withstand it.

There are also the relationships that end far from amiably. Any mistreatment, and excuses used for the foul treatment of a significant other because of a situational issue further support the debunking of the term of endearment people often offer up. While someone may have been going through something, that is never an excuse to treat your significant other poorly, even worse when that is used as an excuse. The right person for someone will want to better themselves, even be the best version of themselves when they are with said person. If that is not the case, they were the right person at the time, they were there to provide a lesson, not to come back when they are better after someone else has waited around.

The term ‘right person wrong time,’ fosters toxic relationships and unhealthy attachment styles. It can lead to forgiveness of the most unfathomable behavior and even reward it. In the end no one wins anything other than new toxic traits that carry over into future relationships. The term should be replaced with ‘wrong person right time,’ because that person was only the right person for that moment in someone’s life. The past significant other likely taught numerous lessons about what the right person down the road will look like, likely teaching their significant other valuable lessons about themselves as well. They were only right for that time rather than after a break with unclear expectations.

The right person for someone will be right for that person at all times. No excuses, no foul play, only a continuous fight to make that relationship the right one. Whether the fight is in the form of distance, self-reflection, growth, and mental health battle, compromise, etc. the right person will never stop fighting for what is best for their person. So rather than putting up with toxic behavior returning and providing excuses, be grateful for the lessons provided at the right time by the wrong person. From here on out, use the term phrase ‘wrong person right time’.

Celia Heck

Wisconsin '26

My name is Celia Heck. I'm from Evanston IL, and currently attending UW-Madison. I'm always looking to learn and grow through new experiences!