This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Sweden is the home of pop music and the place where pop hits are created. Many of the hit popular songs you know, such as Baby by Justin Bieber, One More Time by Britney Spears and Tearin’ My Heart by NSYNC, were created by Sweden pop songwriters! From ABBA in the seventies to Tara Lo, Sweden has been infiltrating the global pop for decades upon decades, especially in the United States. Surprisingly, we have unknowingly listened to many Swedish pop songs on our local radio, which most people have yet to discover. Here are six songs I would recommend you add to your playlist from Sweden. 

The Ocean by Mike Perry ft SHY Martin

This is the perfect song to listen to when you want to relax, but at the same time you can still groove to it. The pulsing beat and infectious melodies will make you want to listen to it over and over again because that’s exactly what I did! Plus, this song was a hit in 2016.

It Ain’t My Fault by Zara Larsson

Zara Larsson is a very popular Swedish artist that became famous by winning the talent show Talang, the Swedish version of Got Talent. Ever since then, she has been releasing some bomb music, especially the one listed above. It Ain’t My Fault is a song with sass and attitude that gets you dancing. 

Dancing Queen by ABBA

I didn’t know about this song until I came to Wisconsin and heard it all over campus. But did you know that this song was sung by a Swedish pop group called ABBA? They are the role models that started the development of the pop industry in Sweden.  

Mistakes by Tove Styrke

You may recognize her from her opening slots for Lorde and Katy Perry’s tour. Tove is a Swedish singer and songwriter that started her career from placing third on Swedish Idol. Her song Mistakes is an empowerment for people to embrace their mistakes and try not to be perfect, but to let themselves be free. She expresses this through her video by running away from a church in a wedding dress, which is something we have seen in music videos by Mariah Carey and Katy Perry. 

Dancing on my Own by Robyn

Robyn is seen as the queen of Sweden pop as she helped bring Swedish pop to an international scale. She is known for creating songs that narrate the feeling of love and heartbreak that many listeners can relate to. If you watch Gossip Girls, Girls or Orange is the New Black, you will be very familiar with this song. 

SOS by Avicii ft Aloe Blacc

Although this song wouldn’t be considered Swedish pop, it is a great song to check out. The singer, Avicii, passed away last year, but he was a trailblazer for EDM and paved the way for other EDM DJs to follow suit. 

Hopefully these songs get you intrigued to check out other Swedish artists or other songs by the artists listed above. Happy listening!

Cynthia Ubah grew up in Maryland. She is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing International Studies with a certificate in Global Health and East Asian Studies. She hopes to work and live in South Korea for a few years. If you are looking for someone to watch Korean drama with or listen to Kpop, she is your girl. Her interests are God, cooking, hangout with friends, reading books, learning Korean, and fashion. Check out her blog at https://mylifeinthemoments.wixsite.com/mysite .
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.