This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Recently, K-pop has started to break into the global music industry with their catchy music — not to mention their good-looking musicians. While K-pop has been popping up everywhere, there are also other genres of Korean music that are worth listening to, such as K-hip hop and K-R&B. As a person that loves listening to Korean music, I want to share with you my top ten K-music songs to check out if you want to add some Korean flavor into your playlist.

1. Bbibbi by IU

IU, “The Nation’s Little Sister”, claps back to all her haters in this song. It has a groovy alt-R&B vibe to it. This is a song that’s worth listening to.

2. Fake Love by BTS

BTS is a very popular K-pop boy band group that has broken into the United States’ music charts. They have also logged an impressive number of achievements, and are popular worldwide. Their song “Fake Love” is one of my favorite songs to listen to. Plus, this song was performed at the 2018 Billboard Music Awards.

3. Tempo by EXO

This is EXO’s most recent release from their album Don’t Mess Up Their Tempo. Although I’m not a big EXO fan, this is the perfect song to get you into EXO’s music.

4. Summer’s Night Dream by FTISLAND

This is actually the first song that I’ve listened to by FTISLAND, and I love it. It has a really nice, cool vibe to it and it’s perfect to listen to when you want to just chill.  

5. Jenga by Heize ft Gaeko

Heize started to become popular after she appeared on Unpretty Rapstar, a rap competition show. This song is another chill vibe song, which I love about it. Also, the jazzy feeling to it makes it one of my favorite songs to listen to.

6.  Only One For Me by BTOB

This song is very different from the normal K-pop dance track that’s usually produced. It has a nice pop ballad vibe to it.

7. Black Happiness by Yoon Mi Rae

Although this song was written in 2007, it’s still a song that’s worth listening to. This song talks about the struggles that Yoon Mi Rae overcame both in Korea and in the hip-hop industry as a mixed-race child — half Korean and half African-American.  Plus, she’s known as one of the top female rappers in South Korea.

8. Egotistic by Mamamoo

A popular Korean vocal pop group, Mamamoo released this song “Egotistic” that shows off their dynamic vocal abilities with a Latino vibe. This is one of my favorite songs from this group.

9. Bermuda Triangle by Zico feat. Crush, DEAN

If you’re someone that likes to listen to hip-hop and rap, this is the perfect song to get you into the Korean hip-hop scene.

10. DDU-DU DDU-DU by BlackPink

BlackPink is a popular K-pop girl group. This song is one of my favorites from them. It makes you want to dance and the choreography in their music video is amazing!

Although these songs are in Korean, most of these songs come with subtitles. I hope these songs will be able to add some flavor to your playlist — and maybe they’ll get you into Korean music!

Cynthia Ubah grew up in Maryland. She is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing International Studies with a certificate in Global Health and East Asian Studies. She hopes to work and live in South Korea for a few years. If you are looking for someone to watch Korean drama with or listen to Kpop, she is your girl. Her interests are God, cooking, hangout with friends, reading books, learning Korean, and fashion. Check out her blog at https://mylifeinthemoments.wixsite.com/mysite .
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!