This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Trigger warning: This post contains talk about sexual assault.

During the Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court confirmation, many women felt compelled to share their stories about why they never reported their sexual assault. The #WhyIDidntReport movement swept the nation after Trump posted on Twitter asking why the women who accused Kavanaugh didn’t just come forward and report the incident when it occurred. Many women took to Twitter to explain why they couldn’t come forward. Some of the reasons included fear of the abuser, fear of not being believed and not wanting to be ridiculed by their family or friends. This movement is empowering and necessary; because of this, I’ve decided to share my story as to #WhyIDidntReport.

My boyfriend of three years sexually assaulted me on various occasions. Every time he did, I was left confused and broken; how could the man I loved violate my body? I always thought it would be easier if it were a stranger who had assaulted me because that way I had no connection to him. Throughout my time in the relationship, I never dared to tell people what was happening to me since I never thought they would believe me — after all, I was dating him. I was ashamed. I didn’t want my parents to know I was dating my assaulter; I was scared that people wouldn’t believe me and I didn’t want people to think he was a bad guy. I was taught that my body was for the pleasure of men and I was confused because I believed that others felt that my body was my boyfriend’s property. This is #WhyIDidntReport.

Like many women, my story isn’t unique. Sadly, our society makes it difficult for women to feel supported and comfortable reporting their assault. What one can do is believe someone if they disclose an assault and give them a safe space to explain their situation. These women who come forward about their assaults are heroic and brave. Let’s stand up to sexual assault and create an environment where victims can openly come forward about their stories and feel supported.

If you or someone you love has been affected by sexual violence, check out these resources:

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

UHS The Rape Crisis Center Hotline: 608-251-7273

UHS Violence Prevention & Survivor Services: 608-265-5600 (Option 3)

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!