Why You Should Travel the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I sit in class, two weeks after returning home from spring break, itching to leave again. Yes, I love this city, this university, and everything it has to offer, but wanderlust consumes me. I’m constantly checking and rechecking prices for flights and hostels, planning my next trip. I crave learning; I crave exploring; I crave adventure; I crave it all.

Traveling has completely changed my life, and it can change yours too. Leaving your day-to-day routine, packing your bags, and catching a plane, train, or bus is one of the best decisions you can make. There are certain things you learn about yourself, about others and about life that you can only learn in a far away place, so get going. Here’s why you should travel:

It sets you free.

You’re a child when you travel. You’re dropped in a new place, not knowing what to expect. Take advantage of this. If you don’t know the native language, don’t fret. Try learning basic words, and then try communicating. You’re truly free to do what you want, with whomever you want.

It shapes you.

Learning about different cultures and customs makes you realize who you are and who you want to be. I can confidently tell you that you’ll return from your trip a better person than when you left. The people you meet will also shape you. I’ve met people from all around the world through my endeavors, and they’ve all impacted my life in so many ways.

It helps you reassess your life.

Are you feeling lost? Did you just go through something tough? Travel. It will help you get out of a rut. It will also help you realize materialistic things aren’t important. It’s much more memorable and worthwhile to spend your money on experiences, rather than on the latest gadget or gizmo.

Time slows down.

Think about walking to class or eating at your usual lunch place. Those activities are automated because we’re used to them. Once you leave what you’re used to and break your routine, time slows down. You notice your surroundings; you notice every crease and crevice on a cobblestone street or the smell of fresh bread from a bakery on the corner. You learn to live in the moment.

No matter how crazy life gets, never forget to take some time, get out there and explore.

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Ana Hoff

Wisconsin

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!