This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

What started as a way to understand the meaning behind some of my favorite songs, has led to a full-on course in rap and hip-hop. Cole Cuchna’s Dissect podcast series takes listeners on a deep dive into some of the most influential modern rap albums.

records and a headphone set
Photo by blocks from Unsplash

Dissect is a podcast written and produced by lone man, Cole Cuchna. Within the series, he literally “dissects” well-known albums in the most elaborate and thought-provoking way. 

Cuchna began in the spring of 2018 with Kendrick Lamar’s iconic album To Pimp A Butterfly. With 22 episodes each dedicated to a different track, the attention to detail within lyrics, music notes and the artists’ backgrounds is so extreme that listeners feel as if they have to take notes. What has been pegged, “The album of the decade,” Lamar has been acclaimed by critics and fans for creating one of the most meaningful examples of the lives and struggles in black America. 

Microphone on dark background
Photo by Matthias Wagner from Unsplash

As Dissect kicked off with one of the most powerful modern albums, I went into the listening process somewhat blind. After finishing the season, I came out as an expert in all things Kendrick Lamar. I realized the incredible significance of every ingredient within the album. By listening to these weekly episodes, fans gain an entirely newfound level of understanding and respect for these artists.

One season I highly recommend listening to is the second; Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It begins with a retelling of Kanye’s life story. His upbringing, introduction into the music industry and nearly complete downfall at the VMA’s that all ended up leading to the creation of his Grammy-winning album. As a Kanye fan, I was excited to begin listening to this analysis. However, I really recommend this season to people who are not the biggest Kanye fans, you will come out with a newfound respect and appreciation of his talent as an artist. 

Pexels

The seriousness and thoughtfulness Cuchna brings to some of the most seemingly mindless rap lyrics is incredible. For example, West’s iconic choral lyric, “let’s have a toast the douchebags” results in a minutes-long explanation of metaphors and emotion. The format of humor mixed with true elaboration results in a listening experience like no other. It is highly entertaining, informative and enjoyable.

With Season 8 dropping at the end of this month, my excitement is through the roof. I have resorted to relistening to some of my favorite episodes from past seasons while I wait. Including legendary albums like Frank Ocean’s Blonde, Tyler the Creator’s Flower Boy and Beyonce’s Lemonade Cuchna covers the icons. If you are already a fan or are just getting into rap, this podcast is for you. You will come out with knowledge you wouldn’t even have thought to research prior to listening. 

Kara Boyle

Wisconsin '24

Kara is a freshman majoring in Consumer Behavior and Marketplace Studies at UW. In her free time, she enjoys finding new music, playing with her dog, and baking.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!