This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Explore where you live without any distractions

I, like most people, picked up an array of new hobbies when the pandemic hit. However, the only quarantine hobby that stuck with me is my passion for running. I needed an activity that allowed me to get out of the house without spending money on gas for my car and that I could do alone, and the only solution I could think of was running. But somehow, this activity stuck. During my first few months of running, I’m not sure if I actually enjoyed these jaunts through my neighborhood. Instead, it was just my excuse to get out of my house while the world was shut down.

I didn’t start running without music until the beginning of this summer. I decided I was tired of dealing with headphones falling out of my ears and the constant headaches I would get after wearing earbuds for more than 30 minutes. My ears would get tired before the rest of my body did. So, I decided to ditch the music altogether and just run. 

At first, I felt incredibly self-conscious. I was very aware of my surroundings and all the people I passed. It felt as though everybody’s eyes were on me, taking note of how I looked and how fast I ran. I had never realized how many people are on the bike path or strolling through the surrounding residential neighborhoods. I also got bored. Without music or a podcast to distract me, my 5 or more mile runs felt monotonous. There were only so many thoughts I could conjure up before I started thinking about all the tasks I had waiting for me back home. Instead of relieving my stress, I could feel it building up more and more.

When I run with headphones in, I’m very much in my own bubble. I can tune out all my built-up stress and anxiety while also having something to focus on besides how tired I am from running. My jogs were less about enjoying running, and more about giving myself a break from schoolwork. 

Now that I was disconnected from my phone, I was forced to look up. I took note of how the trees reflected off Lake Wingra and how the birds communicated with each other. There was one house being built that I would pass almost every day on my runs during the summer, and I loved being able to track its progress. These are all things I had never noticed when I only focused on my music. I also started to take different routes during my runs. I would find new places to explore, and I’ve been able to experience far more of Madison and the surrounding area than I ever have. Even now, I feel like I discover something new on every run I go on. 

I also started to enjoy my runs more. I used this time to process everything going on in my life, from my current workload to brainstorming my post-grad goals. My best ideas are formed while I’m by myself, four miles from home. Since I’m doing something productive and good for my body, I found that I actually enjoyed planning out when I was going to conquer all the tasks on my to-do list.

Without anything to distract me, I had to start really experiencing every part of my runs. I’m more conscious of when my lungs are sore and when my legs start to show their first signs of exhaustion. I feel more accomplished after my runs now because I felt every mile. I feel stronger, too. Running became a mental challenge just as much as a physical one. When the exhaustion starts to set in, I tell myself I can make it to one more mailbox, or to one more street sign. I definitely run slower without music, but I’ve been able to run farther. This sense of accomplishment feels even better knowing that I’m doing it for myself and no one else.

Once the temperature drops below freezing, the headphones will make their return. Personally, I don’t think I could run without a distraction during the frigid winter months. There has to be something to focus on other than my breathing and how cold I am. However, the second the snow melts next spring, I’ll be back to running with no distractions. Whether you’re just starting out your running journey or an avid racer, I recommend you try spending your next outing without any music. It’s a great opportunity to take a step back, appreciate the area you live in, and see how strong you are.

Bella Onsi

Wisconsin '23

I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison double majoring in Atmospheric & Oceanic Science, as well as Environmental Studies. Along with being a managing editor for Her Campus, I'm also the Vice President of the American Meteorological Society chapter on campus. I'm a huge fan of the New England Patriots, reading, iced coffee, and running.