This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We go through our days constantly interacting with our friends, whether it’s face-to-face or through the phone. Sometimes, I like to take a step back and appreciate the friendships I have made and maintained throughout my time in high school and college. I am so thankful to have incredible people in my life that have the ability to put a genuine smile on my face day-by-day. Here’s a shoutout to all of you awesome people—I want you to know: I appreciate you.

You make me laugh.

You know that it doesn’t take much to make me giggle, but you know how much I love someone who can make me laugh until I collapse to the floor. If you’ve made me do this, just know that you have won my heart.

You bring out the best in me.

I’m happy when I’m around you; constantly laughing and smiling. You inspire me to be the best person I can be: to care for others, to help people out, and to bring a smile to everyone’s faces.

You give me alternative advice.

I’m always in need of advice: school, life, boys — the list goes on. But most importantly, you remind me to “treat myself,” which is quite possibly the only advice I’ll ever need (especially when deciding to order pizza or not).

You give me that extra push when I need it most.

On the days when it’s hard to get out of bed and be productive, on the days when all I want to do is nap, on the days I’m feeling down, you tell me to get my ass up and be the strong, independent woman that I am. To get my ass to the library and be a good student. And, to get my ass to the gym and be the fit person I aspire to be. You’re always there when I need a little (or a lot of) motivation.

You’ll be there for me longer than any dumb boy will be.

We’ve been through thick and thin and through dumb arguments that are irrelevant today. But at the end of the day, I know you will always be there for me when I’m feeling down. You listen to my dumb rants and always know what to say. And, even if you don’t, you still somehow make the bad good again.

You make me feel comfortable being in my own skin.If you know me at all, you know I will bust out a random, ugly dance move in the middle of a conversation or jump around and scream because I’m excited. I ask dumb questions, am stubborn, and I’m sometimes an emotional wreck. But you still love me for who I am. There’s nothing worse than being judged for who you are, and I’m so glad I can be myself around you. 

So, thank you to all of my friends. You all have made my life better and happier in some way. Not only have you opened me up to so many different opinions, values, and beliefs, but you have helped shape me into the person I am and who I am improving to be every day.

Food lover - dance enthusiast - professional napper.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!