This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

And Why You Should Too

When I was a kid, I had an obsession with game shows like Cupcake Wars, The Amazing Race and even Dancing With the Stars.  My obsession with these shows halted, however, when I entered middle and high school. But as of the last month, my Dancing With the Stars obsession has resurfaced. Every Monday night, I find myself tuning in to watch a multitude of different celebrities compete to get the mirrorball, predicting who will get eliminated that night and what scores each judge will give each dance. With my friends confused about this new favorite show of mine, I thought it would be worthwhile to share why I love Dancing With the Stars and hopefully convince some new people to watch it as well.

1. Unlike other competition reality shows, you are bound to know at least one of the contestants. 

Considering all of the contestants are celebrities, you should recognize a couple of the names. If you do not know how the show works, a group of celebrities are each placed with a professional ballroom dancer and each pair competes against the others. This season there are big stars such as Charli and Heidi D’Amelio from TikTok, singer Jordin Sparks, Jersey Shore’s Vinny Guadagnino, Gabby Windey from The Bachelorette and so many more. Rooting for celebs that you know is so fun and watching them progress is the best part, bringing us to our next point.

2. Seeing each celebrity improve their ballroom dancing skills weekly is so satisfying to witness.

Since week one, I have been able to watch each team get increasingly better each week and rise up on the leaderboard. While some people argue that dancers like Charli came in with dance experience, ballroom dancing is so incredibly different from any other type of dancing. It takes so much coordination, rhythm and exact timing with your partner. There are also so many different styles of dance to know such as the samba, foxtrot, Viennese waltz, jive, cha-cha and so many more. Watching your favorite contestant nail the quickstep is such a satisfying thing to witness and it just shows how hard they are all working. 

3. The themes.

I can’t lie, I love a good dance that perfectly matches up with the theme. Each year, I look forward to Disney night and this year did not disappoint. With a multitude of creative dances and costumes, the standout had to be Charli and Mark with their jazz routine in the theme of The Simpsons. Seeing each week’s different theme and how each couple internalizes that with the dance is one of my favorite parts of watching the show, and a big part of what makes a good dance great.

4. It’s the perfect show for any occasion.

Personally, I enjoy simultaneously watching each episode while studying or doing my homework. If I was not so swamped with homework, DWTS would be such a fun show to watch with friends. Having a DWTS night with snacks and friends would be such a fun way to watch, and you could even make it a game by trying to predict what each judge will give each pair, and the losers have to do a punishment and the winner gets a prize!

With season 31 of DWTS halfway over, you still have time to get into watching it. If anything, now is a perfect time to begin watching, for the competition has become very intense, with only the top couples remaining. Make sure to tune in each Monday night at 7 PM on Disney+!

Grace Paolillo

Wisconsin '26

Grace is currently a freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison! Coming from New Jersey, she is excited to try all the different things that Madison has to offer, including cafes, restaurants, study spots, and game day traditions!