This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Never thought I would

My family used to make fun of me because I was not a reader. I was the book-abandoner; I started books and never returned to them. During the Quarantine Summer of 2020, I decided to read “The Woman in the Window”, which was becoming a movie. I wanted to read the book before I watched the movie. This book ended up reigniting my love for reading and turned me into a reader.

I have realized that the more that I read, the better I become at finding books that interest me. When I used to hate reading, it was because I didn’t know what types of books I liked. I didn’t have direction when sifting through different genres. I now have found many genres and authors that I love reading. Some of my favorites include mystery, romance and memoirs. I also realized that everyone reads and has recommendations. It is so fun to connect with friends, family, peers and co-workers over books we love.

Reading has become a way for me to relieve stress and anxiety and cool down for the evening. My favorite part of the day is getting in bed and opening up a book (or turning on my kindle). I have come to prefer reading over watching TV. When you find a book that you love, it reads like any good TV show or movie. Reading takes me out of my head and allows me to prioritize myself and escape reality.

I have really come to appreciate everything that comes with a good book. The mystery, drama, heartbreak and fantasy allows me to enter into a new reality. Reading has also helped me gain new words in my vocabulary and appreciate reading for classes. I highly recommend getting back into reading, if you have the chance. You will not regret it.

Alexis Schoor

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Alexis and I am a staff writer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison!