Culture > News

Who is the Biden Administration’s Press Secretary Jen Psaki?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Jen stood up at the podium at 7:06 P.M. EST after a long day of the inauguration, on January 20, 2021. She fielded questions from reporters about the many different topics that Biden addressed within the first day in office. 

But before the questions began, she prefaced it by setting a precedent: “When the President asked me to serve this role, we talked about the importance of bringing truth and transparency back to the briefing room, and he asked me to ensure we are communicating about the politics across the Biden-Harris administration and the work his team is doing every single day on behalf of all American people.”

The nation looked upon this first press briefing after a long day and was wondering who this quick-witted press secretary is. 

Graduates throwing caps in the air
Photo by Emily Ranquist from Pexels
Jen Psaki is bringing professionalism and honesty back into the press room at the White House. Her impressive resume fully proves her excellence in political communication. 

Psaki began her political press career straight out of her undergrad in college. She graduated in 2000 with a degree in English and sociology from the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. She began the re-election campaign of Iowa Democrats Tom Vilsack for governor and Tom Harkin for the U.S. Senate in 2001. 

Following that election, only four years after graduating, she worked in 2004 for John Kerry’s presidential campaign as the deputy press secretary. Then, from 2005 to 2006, she was the communication director for U.S. Representative Joseph Crowley and regional press secretary for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Barack Obama waving at a desk while on the phone
Photo by History in HD from Unsplash
Her presidential experience continued during the 2008 presidential campaign of Barack Obama when she was the traveling press secretary. Then, she followed him into the presidency and held the titles of Deputy Press Secretary and then Deputy Communication Director. 

Then in 2011, Psaki transitioned into briefly working as the senior vice president and managing director for Global Strategy Group. But, in 2012, she returned to the Obama campaign with reelection as the press secretary, worked as the Obama Administration Spokesperson for the United States Department of State from 2013 to 2015 and then-White House Communications Director from 2015 to 2017.  

Following the Obama administration, she was a CNN political contributor from 2017 to 2020. In November 2020, she joined the Biden-Harris Transition team and was named the White House press secretary for the Biden administration. This made her the 34th White House press secretary. 

President Trump speaking at a rally
Photo by Gage Skidmore distributed under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license
With the past experience with the Trump administration and their mistreatment of reporters and disrespect of fair news, Jen made it very clear how her briefing room would operate. She said, “There will be times when we see things differently in this room – I mean, among all of us. That’s okay. That’s part of our democracy.”

Personally, I look forward to seeing her commitment to sharing truthful information to enforce our democracy.  She makes her job look easy, effortlessly communicating on a multitude of issues that are going on within the presidency. She treats reporters respectfully, no matter the question and fully answers the best of her ability.   

Emily is a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying Journalism with an emphasis in strategic communications. In her spare time, she loves taking photos, listening to podcasts, and going to art museums around campus. Find her on Instagram instagram.com/emily.ravet!
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!