What’s in a Vote? Looking Back on Women’s Right to Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This June will mark 100 years since Congress passed a Constitutional amendment giving women the right to vote. Many of us take the act of voting for granted or see it as a useless practice that politicians make a big deal about during presidential elections; however, countless men and women fought to give women a say in the election of our nation’s leaders.

The 19th amendment was passed by Congress on June 4th, 1919 and ratified on August 18th, 1920. The amendment states that all American women have the right to vote. Since the United States was established in 1776, women, although making up a majority of the population, were unable to vote until 143 years later.

Women began their quest for the right to vote in the early 1800s by organizing, petitioning, and picketing, but it would take decades for their request to be taken seriously. The amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878 but was left undecided until 1920 when it was ratified by the states. During this time gap, women worked tirelessly to achieve this milestone.

Well behaved women rarely make history
Dweedon1
In 1869, women-suffrage advocates formed a group called the National Woman Suffrage Association and fought to change the Constitution. Among these women was Susan B. Anthony. In 1890, the group merged with another suffrage group, American Woman Suffrage Association, to form the National American Woman Suffrage Association. Their first president was Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

The NAWSA lectured, wrote, marched, and lobbied around the country to raise awareness and change the minds of politicians. Some women were arrested for civil disobedience as a result of the protests and continued to protest in prison through written letters, silent vigils, and hunger strikes.

In 1917 New York became the first state to adopt women’s suffrage, prompting President Wilson to change his stance and support the amendment in 1918. The rest, as they say, is history, but the 19th amendment changed the face of the American electorate and women’s rights forever.

With the increasing amount of politicians announcing their candidacy for the 2020 Presidential Election, it can be easy to become frustrated and not vote, but knowing the truth of the 19th amendment can help us all realize the importance of voting and honoring the men and women who fought to give women this right.

Rachel Hietpas

Wisconsin '20

Rachel is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is double majoring in political science and economics, and hopes to attend law school after her bachelors degree. Her passions include reading, drinking coffee, and dog-watching!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.