What to Wear: Halloween 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This time of year is filled with some of campus’s favorite things; the return of cute boots, cozy sweaters, yoga pants, pumpkin spice lattes, and colorful leaves! These changes can leave you overwhelmed with happiness, but be careful not to get too distracted by all of these exciting changes. With October one week under our belt, it’s time to start planning for one of the most important parts of the season: Halloween!

When many of us think of Halloween, we find ourselves reminiscing on childhood memories: jack-o-lanterns, candy and costumes. As college students at UW-Madison we might have a slightly different idea of the fun-filled holiday. With this comes great anxiety for the female population of the campus, “What to wear?!” 

Many of us have been asking ourselves this question since, well let’s be honest, right after last Halloween. Regardless, we are still faced with constant indecision, and rightly so! Halloween weekend is a big deal on our campus with Freak Fest and all of the hype surrounding us. Personally, what I wear out on Halloween is very important to me.

Here are some of my favorite celebrity costumes from last year and how you can recreate them. I hope these will spark your interest and you will find yourself inspired, less stressed, and know exactly what to wear!

1. Lauren Conrad as Minnie Mouse

I’m totally over the whole sexy nurse, sexy animal, sexy whatever and I am a huge fan of this tasteful look! L.C. takes a classic costume and turns it uber cutesy, and so can you!

Get the look
Hair: follow this how-to. Note: If you’re seriously challenged in this department, ask a friend to help or just buy some ears at Party City or Ragstock!
Bow: from American Apparel. Important: Do not try to purchase this bow in red on game day. It will more than likely be sold out!
Dress: Get a little different look with the red bodycon dress from Forever21. Or for a more classic look, try this dress.
Try not to be too picky when it comes to the dress. Buy what’s affordable and what looks good on YOU! The outfit will come together even if your dress isn’t perfectly polka dotted. You may be surprised with what you have in your own closet, so don’t forget get to take a peak! 
Shoes: Target’s Patent Jane Pump
I am absolutely in love with Lauren’s sophisticated black heels. They are practical and can be worn with so much more than this costume!
Socks: Girly Ankle Socks from American Apparel in all white are absolutely perfect!
The socks are an essential to the outfit! They will be especially helpful in keeping your feet warm once the night gets chilly. 
Makeup: Mimic Lauren by trying a bold cat eye using black eyeliner and cream/white shadow.
Don’t forget to put extra blush on your checks topped off with whiskers and a little black nose! 

2. Lucy Hale as Toddlers in Tiaras: 

Who can honestly admit that they haven’t been entertained or amused by the hit TLC television series, “Toddlers in Tiaras”? This quirky costume idea is great for anyone eager to let out her inner beauty queen!

Hair: Try something over-the-top! Load up your head with curls, bobby pins, and hair spray to get the perfect look. Seriously- more is better. I suggest curling your hair in tight ringlets, using a teasing comb to get body, then pinning it all up on top of your head. It’s definitely fine to be crazy and messy with this look. No need to worry about perfection! 
Tiara: Option 1, Option 2
Obviously, this part of the costume is an absolute necessity. Check out what Ragstock has and other party-supply stores in the area. These are two different options that I found on Target.com (they’re both pretty inexpensive but you can go as all out or as simple as you’d like to).
Dress: I would suggest trying to find the perfect “pageant” dress at stores such as Goodwill or Ragstock on State Street. I am positive that Ragstock has a bunch of old wedding dresses and I’m sure prom ones too. This could also be a great opportunity to get a second use out of that prom dress lingering in the back of your closet! Consider ordering one from Ebay. If the dress is too plain, use rhinestones and glitter from Walgreens to decorate the bodice. This costume is all about being gaudy and ridiculous… So have fun with it!
Shoes: Really any shoes that are colorful, fun, or sparkly would be great with the outfit! I am in LOVE with Steve Madden and these shoes would not only be great for Halloween but for any night out in Mad Town!
For a more affordable alternative check out Target’s version. For an even thriftier option, take an old pair of neglected heels in your closet and spice them up with rhinestones, glitter glue and ribbons! You can even make your own glitter heels with Modge Podge and loose glitter!
Accessories: Top this outfit off with all of the tackiest jewelry in your box (or you mother’s)! Pick up a cute stuffed teddy bear to hang out with you all night or binkies and baby bottles like Lucy and her crew! Forever 21 or Goodwill would be my go-to spots for this part of the costume. Make sure your makeup matches the rest of your costume- outrageous! Fake eyelashes, glitter, colorful eye shadow, and bright lips and cheeks are a must.

3. Nicole Hilton as Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s 

This outfit is so simple and I am in love! What girl doesn’t love Audrey Hepburn? No better way to show your admiration than to dress up as her! From the stylish glasses to the classy peep-toed shoes this outfit is practical from head to toe. If you choose this option I doubt any of the items you purchase will be worn solely for this costume. You may even have most of the items in your closet already!

Hair: Check out the tutorial for Audrey’s classic look. Otherwise, this is the perfect opportunity to try out the super easy and trendy sock bun
Sunnies: Nicole’s shades are one of the statement pieces of the outfit. Since most of us will be sporting them out at night, wearing them on top of your head will be just as glamorous! (Put them on for the pictures, of course!)
Dress: Try to make the dress look as elegant and effortless as possible! No need to go crazy with it. I have no doubt that this element of the costume will be easily found in your or your roomie’s closet! 
Shoes: Any classic black heel would work with this costume. To nail Nicky’s outfit peep toed is a must!
I’m always a fan of Target when it comes to basics. Either one of these options are great. It all comes down to comfort and personal preference.
Don’t forget to wear gloves, earrings, and a necklace for the perfect touch!

4. Blake Lively as Cleopatra 

I am obsessed with this costume and may even try it out myself this Halloween! Turquoise, gold and all things pretty make this outfit so feminine and captivating. 

Dress: Look around for a flowly, long or short dress. Gold or white are great colors for this outfit, but don’t limit yourself! If you come across a great dress in any color don’t hesitate to wear it as long as it has the right look.
Jewelry: The most important part of this costume is the accessories! Have fun with it. Layer up your wrists with bracelets and cuffs; adorn your head in a headdress, your hand in unique rings; and wear some pretty earrings
Shoes: Heels, flats, wedges, sandals… Anything! This is most likely the reason that I love this costume so much. Personalize it and make it your own. Most of what you need for it can be found in your closet. In case you are lacking in the shoe department, a pair of gladiator sandals from Urban are a great option!
Finish the look with a cat eye (see tutorial) and you’ll be giving Blake a run for her money! 

Hopefully some of your pre-Halloween distress has been relieved. Enjoy the rest of this beautiful season and I better see you all out Halloween weekend looking freakishly fantastic! 

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com