lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Jelena Taught Us About Modern Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The year was 2010, and one of the best celebrity couples of our time got together. It’s the start of the glorious — or terrible — on-and-off relationship of Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez. For anyone who isn’t an avid Jelena fan, here’s a basic rundown of their relationship:

2010: They start dating. Our middle school hearts were happy — or jealous. Suddenly, the song ‘One Time’ made sense.

2012: They broke up after dating for two years. Still, there were engagement rumors for the lovebirds…

Everything after 2012 has been short bursts of dating and breakups. But, that all changed in late October last year when Gomez broke up with the Weeknd and got back with Bieber. Things were looking great for the low-profile couple — until they announced in early March that they were taking a break…again.

Jelena, what does all of this mean? You two are more unpredictable than Wisconsin’s weather! One day you’re hot, and the next you’re cold. I’ve been a fan of your relationship since day one, but I just can’t keep up with your constant breakups.

Despite their ups and downs, they’ve taught us a few lessons:

1. Time apart isn’t always a bad thing.

When they first started dating, Gomez was barely an adult, and Justin had just began to drive a car — they were so young! Perhaps it was healthy that they took some time apart to grow up and become who they want to be. Maybe you and your partner took a break from your relationship; maybe you two broke up because you were going to different colleges. In any case, the time you two spend apart can really allow you to grow into the best version of yourself.

2. Social media makes us consider all of the ‘what-ifs.’

A decade ago, you wouldn’t have had the ability to check up on your ex through social media. Today, you can follow your ex’s life when you’re no longer a part of it. This can really lead to a lot of regrets; it can leave you questioning whether breaking up was the right decision. These obessions can bring couples into a vicious cycle of getting back and breaking up shortly after.

3. Jealousy is a very ugly thing.

Celebs — they’re just like us. We can only imagine how Gomez must’ve gotten jealous when she saw Bieber  with countless of models in all those pictures. Let’s be real: we get jealous of whoever our exes are with, even if they aren’t supermodels!

4. If it’s meant to be, it’ll be.

Just because someone isn’t right for you now, doesn’t mean they won’t be right for you in the future. People will find their way back to you someday — no matter the circumstances — if they’re meant to be in your life. See, Gomez knew she wanted Bieber back in her life — even just as friends — after she had a life-altering surgery this past summer.

Jelena are always keep us on our toes. Here’s to hoping they’re actually meant for each other; hopefully, they’ll find their way back to each other real soon!

Hi, I'm Abby Coppens, a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. I'm pursuing a degree in Economics and Retail. In my free time, I really enjoying hanging out with my friends and family, doing homework, biking, and reading. I'm the biggest friends fanatic on the planet. Go Badgers!