This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Whether you are an incoming freshman or transferring to UW-Madison in the fall, there are probably a million thoughts buzzing through your mind about the upcoming year. As an incoming student to UW-Madison, I thought I had it all figured out. As the middle child, I banked on the fact that my older brother had completely blazed the trail for me. Although he wasn’t a student here, I assumed his general ability to thrive out in California was plenty enough for me to do the same. However, I didn’t rely on his knowledge alone. I reached out to the few older students that I knew came here from my high school. Beyond that, I watched countless YouTube videos. After cross-referencing the advice from a range of my favorite collegiate beauty bloggers, I was sure that I had it all figured out. And boy, was I wrong. I’ve compiled some of my best advice from what I’ve learned throughout my freshman year. 

First, try to register for SOAR as early as possible. Now, this is something specific to UW-Madison, but the sentiment is universal. Sign up for the earliest orientation date you can. 

I had no idea that much of the programming at SOAR revolved around picking and creating a schedule for the upcoming semester. By the time that I attended SOAR, the majority of classes that I was recommended to take were already full. Although I was panicked at the time, it led me to take some pretty cool classes that all ended up filling General Requirements anyway. That brings me to my next point…

It’s okay to have no idea what you want to major in! It can be intimidating, especially at a large university like UW-Madison, to see students come in with what seems like a concrete idea of what they want to study. Sometimes it’s overwhelming when you feel like everyone around you has their s*** together. Remember your path, and try as best you can to not compare yourself to others. Take classes that you are interested in, and chase what you are passionate about. 

Budget out time to clean. The limited space you do have in your dorm is precious, so treat your space with respect. Making your bed should be the very first thing you do after you wake up. Before you go to bed, be sure to put away any stray clothes that magically accumulated on the ground throughout the day. As often as you see necessary, set a quick twenty-minute timer and wipe down and clean the surfaces of your desk. Little habits like these every single day will ensure that your room stays tidy. 

Along with respecting your space, respect yourself. College is a really exciting time to meet new people, join new clubs and get involved in anything you can get your hands on. But, it’s important to take time for yourself. It’s okay to say no to friends and prioritize your own needs. Sometimes what you need most is to go to bed at 10 p.m. Get as much sleep as you can; I know I sound like your mother when I say this, but it is the underlying route to success. Sleep, sleep, sleep!

While it’s important to prioritize your personal needs, it is also important to speak up for yourself academically. This was arguably the hardest thing I had to learn when coming to college because no one can really prepare you for this. Don’t be afraid to email your professors or TA’s, and take advantage of office hours as best you can. Although you have to actively seek out the help you need, your professors are ultimately there to help. But, if you aren’t finding the help you need, seek out peers in your classes or even peer tutors. There are resources available to help you, so when you feel stuck don’t be afraid to ask for help!

While it’s important to take exciting classes, join new clubs and explore your new home. College is nothing if not spent with amazing friends. This was the single biggest fear of mine coming into college and something that quite honestly you can’t prepare for. The beautiful thing about college is that there are incredible people around every corner, you’ve just got to meet them. When making friends, be yourself. The truest people come when you are your truest self. The crazy thing is that by the end of your freshman year, your friends will feel like family and the thought of leaving them for a full summer is daunting. But, they’ll be there in the fall, and you can do it all over again. And again. And again. 

Grace Landsberg is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is majoring in Strategic Communications within the School of Journalism and Mass Communication while also pursuing a certificate in Digital Studies. In her free time, she loves finding new music, spending time with family and friends, and hittin' the food trucks on campus!
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!