samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What To Do When You Don’t Know What To Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I think we’ve all had a time when we questioned if we were in the right program. Choosing classes in your major and then not doing as well as you want sucks. But, thinking about changing your major can suck even more. Exploring your options can be scary and exciting at the same time. To help you through, here are ten tips to guide you as you make a decision!

1. Meet with your advisor

A meeting with your advisor is always a good first step if you’re feeling anxious about the path you’re on. They are always there with helpful information about classes and other things that can help you decide what you want to do.

2. Go to your professor’s office hours

Meeting with your professor is another good start to figuring out if the class you’re taking is just tough, or if you actually don’t like the material you’re learning. Establishing a connection with your professor is also a good way to make connections for future opportunities.

3. Talk to your parents

As lame as it sounds, your parents are a good source for advice. They know you and are full of experiences and advice that can be very helpful in helping you on your way.

4. Take different classes within the same discipline

Taking classes in the same discipline but with a different topic can be extremely helpful in determining whether you want to continue in that specific area. Sometimes the class or the teacher is what is making you question your decision, and trying new topics can clear things up.

5. Try new classes in different areas of interest

If you are completely done with your major and want to try something new, take classes in areas that you are interested in. This can help you decide if you really want to switch your path to something different.

6. Talk to your friends and peers

Talking to people who are in the same boat as you can provide you with additional support. They are going through the same things as you and can add a new perspective based on their experiences.

7. Do some research

Looking into information about what you’re interested in is helpful. This information can be useful in deciding if you want to switch to something new or if you’re on the right path.

8. Make a pros and cons list

Having something to look at that compares the good and bad parts of each of your possible majors is a good way to pinpoint the advantages and disadvantages of making a change.

9. Take some “me time”

Taking some time to relax and really think about what you want can be helpful. A face mask and some Netflix can do wonders.

10. Don’t be discouraged

Although questioning and switching your major may seem intimidating, it can be an opportunity to look at other interests and decide what you actually want to do. Don’t feel uncomfortable with the idea of exploring new pathways. College is all about finding yourself and changing is a large part of that!

Ultimately, it’s okay to not know what to do!

Change is natural. College is a place to find what you’re interested in and changing your mind is okay.

Hang in there. Whether you decide to change your major or continue in your current program, don’t be afraid to explore new things and try out your interests. Get advice from anyone and everyone. Just remember, you got this and you’ll figure this out.

Theresa Wolfe

Wisconsin '22

Theresa is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison from Albert Lea, Minnesota. She is a Psychology and Social Welfare major with certificates in Criminal Justice and Italian. She enjoys listening to music, watching movies, and reading in her free time.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!