jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to do in Madison on Away Game Weekends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

So, when the Badgers are away in for the weekend, what do you do when you’re not sure what to do with your Saturday. Even though football games are a major highlight of the fall semester, there are plenty of amazing activities in Madison to keep yourself entertained for a weekend without needing to head to Camp Randall!

Check out some of the best ways to spend your away game weekends below:

1. Sport your Badger red while watching the game!

No matter where our Badgers are, you can still show your unfailing support for the team by hosting a watch party or heading somewhere else in red to watch the game! This way, you can fully enjoy the festivities of the game, just without heading to the stadium.

2. Head to the farmers’ market 

There’s nothing like waking up a little later than usual on a Saturday morning and making your way up State Street to the Dane County Farmers’ Market. Grab an iced latte — maybe something with a little pumpkin spice to embrace that feeling of fall. Pick up a pumpkin, some flowers, and some cheesy bread or cheese curds for later. A trip to the farmers’ market is never one you’ll regret.   

3. Check out a new study spot Even though game days are a blast, away game weekends give us Badgers a chance to lay at home (and maybe even hit the books! Gasp!). Take advantage of the free time and scope out some coffee shops or libraries to find your new favorite study spot.  

4. Take a tour of the Capitol

Though we live in our great state’s capital, a lot of us have probably never even seen the inside of the beautiful building that our campus surrounds. Next away game day, grab a friend and head to the heart of Madison for a visit you’ll never forget.  

5. Get outside!

With the feeling of fall around us, there is nothing like taking a walk outside and exploring Madison in the crisp air. Before heading home to watch the game, go for a run with a friend in some part of the city you’ve never explored before, or stroll through Lakeshore Path or the Arboretum with apple cider in hand.  

While there’s nothing like waking up on a Saturday morning to cheer on the Badgers at Camp Randall Stadium, no matter what you choose to do on those away or off weekends in Madison, you can’t go wrong. Throw on your Badger red, and enjoy the beautiful fall day in our great city!   

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!