Weekly Workout: On the Treadmill or Elliptical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week’s workout is all cardio and can be done on the elliptical or treadmill. You can go through it once for a shorter workout, or repeat for about an hour-long sweat session.

Make sure to warm up at an easy pace for 5 minutes, gradually increasing intensity.

Once you feel warm and reading to go…

20 second all out sprint

10 second rest (if on treadmill, just carefully jump your feet on the sides)

30 second sprint

20 second rest

repeat 5x

Then:

Increase resistance or incline by 1% (go for 2 if you really want a challenge by the end) each minute for 10 minutes, working at a difficult walking/jogging pace. Try to keep the same pace as you go up.

Once at the top, work your way back by decreasing the resistance/incline by 2% for 5 minutes.

When back on a “flat road,” work at a jog pace for 3 minutes, then end by walking for 2 minutes. 

You can end the workout here, repeat, or try the same routine on the machine didn’t begin with!

Good luck!

Katie

Also, be on the lookout soon for tips on how to eat healthy at Gordon Commons (or any of the other dining halls)!

Katie McDonough is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- Madison and is currently undecided about her major. She's a fitness junkie from downtown Chicago who spends much of her time reading blogs. She is a soon to be brother of the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega and is studying to become an ACE personal trainer and/or group fitness instructor. Some of her favorite things include TurboKick, dancing, pizza, her golden retriever Buddy, reading blogs, and watching trashy tv with her roomie!
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com