Weekly Workout: Do the Plank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Time to work on those rock hard abs! You won’t see any simple crunches in this routine. We’re going to work on every part of your abs. Be sure to focus on form- correct form is always more important than how many reps you finish! If you can’t do the exercises for the suggested time or suggested reps, that’s okay! Do what you can with the correct form, and next time you’ll be even stronger.

Good luck and work hard!

Plank on forearms 30 seconds (keep body in straight line)

Push body up, without resting, into push-up position. Hold for 30 seconds.

Staying in push-up position, bring left knee across chest and touch to opposite elbow, kick leg straight back out behind you, then repeat bringing knee to same side elbow. Repeat this pattern 10 times then switch legs.

Shift weight on to left hand and stack feet either on top of each other or one foot in front of the other – side plank hold for 15 seconds. After hold, dip hips toward ground and lift back up repeating 10 times. Switch to side plank on right hand and repeat.

Hold plank in push-up position for 30 seconds.

rest and repeat

Katie McDonough is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- Madison and is currently undecided about her major. She's a fitness junkie from downtown Chicago who spends much of her time reading blogs. She is a soon to be brother of the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega and is studying to become an ACE personal trainer and/or group fitness instructor. Some of her favorite things include TurboKick, dancing, pizza, her golden retriever Buddy, reading blogs, and watching trashy tv with her roomie!
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com