Weekly Workout: Barbell Complex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This workout is inspired by a recent barbell complex I did. Barbell complexes can be more complex, so start with dumbbells or a lighter barbell until you get form down and build more strength. This workout provides not only strength training, but cardio as well. You can either use it as your only workout, or use it as a finisher to the rest of your workout. Make sure to focus on form first!

Try to keep this in one smooth continuous motion, without putting the weights down.

Do each one 5x then rest between sets.

Front Squat (hold dumbbells at shoulder level, you’re doing it right if your abs burn!)

Front Lunges (5 each leg)

Bent Over Row (keep elbows tucked by sides!)

Bicep Curl to Shoulder Press (5 each arm)

Put the weights down and do 5 Burpees. Rest (try for no longer than a minute). Repeat 3-5x.

Good luck! 

Katie McDonough is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- Madison and is currently undecided about her major. She's a fitness junkie from downtown Chicago who spends much of her time reading blogs. She is a soon to be brother of the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega and is studying to become an ACE personal trainer and/or group fitness instructor. Some of her favorite things include TurboKick, dancing, pizza, her golden retriever Buddy, reading blogs, and watching trashy tv with her roomie!
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com