This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We Love It, We Love It Not

Wedding days are something that almost everyone dreams of when they’re younger. Today it’s even easier to curate the ideal wedding day with the help of Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok. Recently I attended a wedding that was, as some would call it, non-traditional or unconventional, and it was still a beautiful, memorable day. It got me thinking, why do certain traditions constitute a wedding anyways? Here’s my list of traditions and trends that I love and some that I think we can finally put to rest.

1. CAN GO: First Dances

At this recent wedding there actually was a first dance, and I can’t lie; I teared up big time. But at the same time, when you stop and think about the concept of a first dance, it’s incredibly awkward. All of these people are just standing and staring at you and your partner while you sway in silence for three minutes. Personally, I think I would die from the social anxiety alone.

2. HERE TO STAY: Private Last Dances

This is a trend that has recently garnered attention, especially on social media. It’s a moment where the couple is left alone in the reception space at the end of the celebration to have a private first dance/last dance of the night. I think the intimacy of the moment is unbeatable. I definitely want this trend to keep picking up traction.

3. CAN GO: The Garter Toss

Absolutely not. No. No offense if you plan on doing this at your wedding, have done it at your wedding, or know someone who has done this, but let me say it one more time: NO. It’s weirdly and publicly sexual, and no one needs to bear witness to that. Weddings can already be uncomfortable enough when that one black sheep of an uncle has too much to drink and makes some shudder-inducing joke about the wedding night. 

4. Here to stay: toasts

Now I know this one might be controversial, but I truly love a good toast. Good, bad, embarrassing, drunk, blubbery, I’ll take it all. The best possible outcome is that you have a secret orator among your wedding party or guests and everyone gets to enjoy a perfectly crafted, sentimental, ever-so-slightly cheeky speech. The other best possible outcome is that someone makes an absolute buffoon of themselves and everyone has entertainment for the rest of the day. It’s a win no matter what!

5. Can go: the cake smash

There is absolutely no way I will be ruining my hair and makeup. Period. Done. End of story. I have no idea who decided this should be a thing, but I just want to have a talk with them. Just a talk, I swear. Not only does the expensive and time-consuming glam suffer in the process, but it is nothing short of a crime to waste all the cake.

6. HERE TO STAY: Casual Meals

This was a really big hit at the wedding I recently went to. We had salad and pizza, both complete with all the toppings options you could imagine. I absolutely loved this element! How many times do you go to a wedding where the couple has dropped an insane amount of money on catered plates of beef, chicken or fish only for it to be subpar? Give the people an accessible meal! It’s what they want! Especially if you have an open bar, the greasier the better!

The moral of the story is that you shouldn’t be afraid to make your wedding day exactly how you want it. Don’t worry about adhering to traditions. No one else’s expectations get to dictate what your day looks like. So, go have a drunken, toast-full barbecue! I promise your guest won’t mind.

Sophia Thomas

Wisconsin '26

Sophia is a current first-year student at UW-Madison and couldn't be more excited to be a baby Badger! She's a Wisco girl born and raised, so the way to her heart is any cheesy meal or dessert that involves ice cream/custard. In her spare time, Sophia enjoys hosting friends for dinner, trying out new cafés, rewatching all of her favorite shows, and, of course, coming up with fresh article ideas for Her Campus!