Ways to Stay Fit in Madison During the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Ahh spring, the most wonderful time of year. Flowers are blooming, trees are budding and songbirds are humming. The smell of rain fills the air as the sun’s rays gently shine downward, providing a feeling of warmth and comfort. With an increase in temperature, however, comes a decrease in layers, leaving bodies that were once fully clothed in winter apparel out in the open for everyone to see. Luckily, UW provides several easy ways to stay fit and achieve that bikini-body just in time for the summer season. Here are the top 7 methods for looking good and feeling good during the spring:

1.     Go to the SERF

The SERF is the university’s South East Recreational Facility. Located on campus, the SERF provides a multitude of programs including fitness actives, club sports, swim lessons and ice classes just to name a few. All of these programs encourage physical, social and mental well-being amongst students!

2.     Try out Cyc

Cyc Fitness is a cycling studio located on University Avenue. Classes range from 45 to 60 minutes long and involve weight lifting and peddling to the beat of your favorite songs. High endurance levels in congruence with fast routine movements work the entire body and burn major calories!

3.     Go to Class!

It is very easy to skip class and go on a Netflix binge, but this unfortunately will not get you beach body ready! UW’s campus is HUGE and provides many buildings you can walk to. Being outside will not only improve your mental health but also burn calories. Trekking up Bascom Hill will for sure increase muscular and cardiovascular strength!  

4.     Practice Yoga

Yoga is a great activity to engage in to relieve stress and anxiety,  which are common feelings college students tend to get caught up in. Luckily, studios such as Dragonfly Hot Yoga and Inner Fire Yoga are located nearby and hold a multitude of classes through out the day! Classes focus on finding balance, building strength and alleviating mental pressures.

5.   Eat Healthy

It’s very easy to dial up and order from beloved fast food restaurants such as Ian’s pizza, PDR and Jimmy John’s, but this is definitely not health efficient. Fortunately, UW’s Gordon Avenue Market and Fresh Market provide a variety of cold and warm food options available for purchase. You know what they say, “You are what you eat!”

6.   DIY exercises

With the influx of social media and digital technology, exercise routines can be done in the comfort of your own room! Simply type the desired workout plan into your search engine and voilà! A multitude of step-by-step videos and written instructions will appear in a matter of seconds for you and your friends to choose from.

7.   Remember to Sleep

For college students, sleep is not always a top priority. Receiving an appropriate amount of sleep ranging from 7-8 hours is vital for performing important life functions. Insufficient amounts of sleep can impair students’ mood, health and GPA!

Spring is truly an amazing time to be at UW. With classes coming to and end and finals approaching, it is easy to get tied up in the books. Therefore, it’s extremely important to keep moving and take advantage of all the wonderful activities campus has to offer! 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!