This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

With spring in full bloom (kind of) and summer fast approaching, it’s the perfect time to add a beachy braid to your hair.  From simply French, to a more intricate waterfall braid, they can spice up any boring hairstyle.  Here are some different braids we love at HC:

1.     Two Braids into a Messy Bun

The great thing about this hairstyle is that your hair can be a huge knotted mess, with pieces flying everywhere and it will still look good.  Start with your hair in your desired part, and take a small section on one side of your head and simply braid it.  Repeat on the other side of the part. Then pull apart and massage the braids to give them a thicker appearance.  Lastly, pull back all of your hair, braids included, into a messy bun.  That’s it, you’re done.  It’s a quick and simple way to take messy bedhead from sloppy to polished.

2.     Half Up Crown Braid

For this hairstyle, start about one inch back from the front of your head, leaving pieces of hair out to frame your face.  Then take a section of your hair and braid it regularly, securing it with a clear ponytail.  Repeat this step on the other side.  Next, take one of your braids and bobby pin it in the back of your head.  Repeat this step with the other side and cover the previous braid. Hide the ends of the braids within each other, and you’re done!

3.     Waterfall Braid

This braid is a little more complicated than a regular braid.  If you know how to French braid it may be slightly easier.  Start as if you’re French braiding a portion of your hair, then drop the top piece.  Next, you take the hair from the top and add it to the section of the braid that now is the top piece, like a French braid.  Instead of continuing on like normal, you grab a section from the bottom because you are leaving out one section of the braid.  Then you continue this until you’re finished.  I recommend watching a tutorial to achieve this look.  I failed miserably before mastering it.

4.     Rope braid

This is kind of a cheat braid, but looks awesome.  Take two sections of hair, and pretty much just twist them around each other.  Then voila, you’re done!

Braids are a great way to take a simple hairstyle and create a stylish one. There are tons of different options and they can easily cater to your style.  So give one a try, and have fun!

I am currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, pursuing a degree in Strategic Communications within the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. I am also getting a certificate in digital studies. I love all things fashion and food related, and you can almost always find me stalking some fashion blogger on Instagram, desperately wishing I could be them! 
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!