The Ultimate Winter Fashion Pieces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Over the last few weeks, Madison’s weather has been hinting towards winter. With the impending snow and single digit temperatures looming, dressing warmly is a must for this chilly time of year. While it may seem impossible to maintain any sense of style while wearing ten different layers, I am here to tell you that there are ways of dressing appropriately for the winter weather, while still looking fashion forward. Here are my must have pieces for this wintery season:

1)     Free People Thermals

Wear them on their own in early fall, and then wear them under a chunky button down cardigan or a fur-lined vest in the winter months. The patterned sleeves add personality to an otherwise basic layering piece. Get one, or one in every color!

2)     Sorel ‘Tofino’ Boot

Lets be honest: when it comes to winter footwear, we all want to make sure that our socks aren’t going to be soaking wet after trudging through the sleety sidewalks. I firmly support the need for a reliable shoe, but it is possible to find a shoe that protects your feet from the cold, while still adding a layer of style. The peek-a-boo fur at the top of the boot adds a sense of chic-ness to an otherwise basic black winter boot. The Sorel ‘Tofino’ boot truly makes for the perfect winter footwear.

3)     Cable Knit Headband

I have recently discovered one of the best winter hair accessories ever invented: the cable knit headband. Recently, my friend Lauren, bought me this hair accessory embellished with a feather bejeweled flower for my birthday! What I learned, is that this piece can instantly transform a boring outfit into a chic, put-together look in one fell-swoop. Not only is this piece arguably the cutest winter hair accessory, but it also prevents windburn from your ears during the bone-chilling windy days to come here in Madison. Thank you Lauren for introducing me to one of my new favorite winter accessories!

4)     The Oversized Sweater

Why choose your over-worn, beat up, high school hoodie, when you could be just as warm in a cozy oversized sweater?! Don’t get me wrong- there is a time and place for your old hoodie (ie on the way to the SERF), but for class, opt for the classier, equally warm oversized sweater. I recently purchased this sweater pictured above from Urban Outfitters, and I am absolutely in love with it. As a frequent oversized sweater-wearer, I would like to think I know a quality cozy sweater, I can confidently say that this sweater is the best for this season!

Even though it can be challenging to get out of bed during the dead of winter, let these amazing winter pieces inspire you to push through the desire to sleep longer and, instead, make it to class. These simple pieces can spice up your winter wardrobe and allow you to channel your inner frosty fashionista! 

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com