Trying Times: Sticking with your Sports Teams through Thick… and Thin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Last weekend was one that many Wisconsin sports fans would like to wish never happened. Here’s why:

• The Wisconsin Badger football team unexpectedly lost to BYU

• The Green Bay Packers tied with the Minnesota Vikings

• The Milwaukee Brewers lost an important series to the Pittsburgh Pirates

Need I say more?

It can be hard to describe the emotions that come along with those rough games, so here are some situations that can bring about similar feelings:

1. When your new puppy goes to the bathroom on your also new white rug.

2. When Jessica Day contemplates her relationship with Nick Miller after finding out he doesn’t pay his bills or have any motivation.

3. When you crave Culver’s cheese curds during a late study sesh but realize they’re closed for the night.

4. When Michael Scott discovers that Toby Flenderson is back working at Dunder Mifflin.

5. When you order your dream formal dress online, but it doesn’t arrive on time.If you’re anything like me, then you probably find these events to be a bit cringe-worthy – and similar to when your favorite team isn’t looking so hot.

But, we have to keep in mind the outcomes of all these situations-

Your puppy is super cute, the best companion you could ever ask for and gets trained to do its business outside.

Nick Miller matures, becomes a super successful author and loves Jess more than anything in the world.

Culver’s opens again in the morning and you were saved from eating unhealthy food right before bed.

Toby actually cares about the Dunder Mifflin employees – including Michael – and just wants to make sure things are in their best interests.

You end up spending less on a dress you find at the mall last minute, and when the one you ordered finally arrives, it doesn’t look as good as you thought it would anyway.

Basically, my point is that everything can be seen in a positive light – and that includes the times when your teams are going through a slump.

From now on, rather than giving up, we should just hold up – it will get better.

Your team will win again.

Your team values and depends upon the support of its fans (yes, that’s you!).

You know that, deep down inside, you won’t be able to cheer for anyone else the same way.

So, in the end you stick with them – even in the trying times. Eventually it will be worth it, and you will be proud.

Aubrynn is a small town Wisconsin girl with big city dreams. She is currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a career in the sports broadcasting industry. Some of her favorite things include smelling flowers, laughing with her friends, and the color pink. She hopes to inspire people to believe in themselves and to treat everyone they meet with kindness. You can keep up with everything happening in the life of Aubrynn on Twitter (@AubrynnVV) and Instagram (@brynnvv).
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.