This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Making the decision to transfer colleges is extremely difficult. It is so scary to leave a school that you feel so comfortable with already. “Am I making the right choice?” is probably going through your head 24/7. If you are making the decision to transfer, you should be so proud of yourself, because let me tell you, it takes guts. Starting a life in a new school — where the other students have been since day one — is not easy, but it is worth it. Here are six tips that helped me as a transfer and can help you too.

Join a variety of clubs

Joining different types of organizations on campus will allow you to meet other students. It helps you not feel so “new,” because a good handful of the club will also be new members! Go out of your comfort zone and try something you normally wouldn’t — you will be introduced to more people and expand your circle of friends much quicker. 

Talk to the people you sit next to in lecture 

It may seem scary to talk to a stranger in class, but chances are they don’t know anyone in the class either. Not only do conversations in class help build friendships — they also make class much more enjoyable!

Take advantage of your advisor

Your advisor wants you to succeed in school and knows that you are going through a hard transition. They are there to help you and give advice that will make you feel 10 times better about your transition.

Live with roommates

This one is huge. I highly suggest living with other people when you transfer. These people have been at the school already and will be such a good outlet for any question. It is also a great way to meet more people, because your roommates will introduce you to them!

Attend sports games

Sports games are an amazing chance to get involved with your new school! The student section of the football games is always filled – also, who doesn’t love a sports game? It’s so much fun finally getting to feel a part of the school spirit. I have been waiting to wear Badger clothes since I was a little kid, and now I finally can.

Go to office hours 

Going to office hours is not only a great way to make sure you’re staying on top of your grades, but also an amazing way to get to know your TAs and professors better. It can be extremely overwhelming coming into a new school, but the faculty wants you to succeed — they accepted you there for a reason!

Deciding whether or not to transfer is the hardest part of the whole process. Starting your journey is exciting and doesn’t have to be scary. Go in with confidence and a big smile, because you should be happy! You are where you belong. I hope these tips will help you transition into your new university smoothly, and that this is your best year yet!

I am a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying journalism with a minor in sports communication.