This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Music is a big part of everyone’s life; it shapes who we are and tends to be a common conversational topic among people. These following artists are some of the best of our time and will be remembered throughout history as the best in the business. Their music will remain as some of my favorites (and they should be yours, too).

10. The 1975

The 1975 is an indie pop/rock band that has a catchy style and great lyrics. You should be on the lookout for this band. They recently won “Best British Album” at the 2019 BRITs for their new album, A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships.

9. Panic! At The Disco

Panic! At The Disco has been a consistent hitmaker with songs like “Death of a Bachelor”, “Nine In The Afternoon”, “This Is Gospel”, and everyone’s favorite, “I Write Sins Not Tragedies”.

8. Maroon 5

The 2019 Super Bowl Halftime performers have always been heard on the radio. With hits like “Sugar”, “She Will Be Loved”, “Moves Like Jagger” and many others, it’s no surprise to see that they are constantly relevant.

7. Kendrick Lamar

This hip hop artist has made his mark on the music world in recent years. You may know Kendrick Lamar from his work with the Black Panther soundtrack and songs like “HUMBLE” and “King Kunta”.

6. Carrie Underwood

This country singer got her start on American Idol and has since skyrocketed into the music industry. Some of her classics include “Before He Cheats” and “Jesus, Take the Wheel”.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga is always rebranding and coming out with new music that seems to always make it to the top of the charts. When she’s not on the stage, she can be found on the screen in movies and TV shows like A Star Is Born and American Horror Story.

4. Rihanna

This powerhouse singer and actress has come out with classics like “Umbrella”, “Diamonds”, and “Don’t Stop the Music”. Along with her music career, she also has her own makeup company, Fenty Beauty.

3. Justin Bieber

Whether you love him or you hate him, there’s no denying that this singer has been one of the biggest artists in the music industry. Justin Bieber has been in the spotlight for many years and has been making top hits since 2008 when Usher discovered him.

2. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift has consistently been on the charts since her country music debut in 2006. She has since transitioned into the pop world and has done five tours. She has received many awards, giving her the titles of “most wins by a female artist” and “most wins by an act”.

1. Beyoncé

If you’re surprised by this one, you shouldn’t be. Beyoncé has been making some of the best music of our generation since her beginnings in Destiny’s Child. Her classics like “Single Ladies”, “Halo”, and “Formation” have made her one of the top-selling artists of our generation.

These 10 artists have definitely made their mark on our generation and the music industry; their music is iconic and will be remembered for years to come. Music continues to shape our culture and lives. These award-winning artists will remain one of the biggest parts of our history and conversation topics in the years to come.

Theresa Wolfe

Wisconsin '22

Theresa is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison from Albert Lea, Minnesota. She is a Psychology and Social Welfare major with certificates in Criminal Justice and Italian. She enjoys listening to music, watching movies, and reading in her free time.