Top 10 Animated Disney Movies to Watch Instead of Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’ve at all had a schedule like I’ve had these past couple of weeks, you probably haven’t had the time to just sit down, relax and soak up some needed “you time.” There have been days where I leave my house by 8:00 a.m. and don’t come back until 11:00 that night because of school, extracurriculars and various other stressful activities. Regardless of how busy your schedule is, you should really take some time to enjoy one of your favorite classic Disney movies. Settle in with some blankets and tea, and you are golden for the next three hours. If you’re having a hard time trying to pick a movie, here’s my ranking of Disney movies that are on Netflix right now! Get ready for some you time!!!

10. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Atlantis the Lost Empire is a classic movie that is sure to bring back some memories. Join Milo Thatch and his journey in finding Atlantis with some of his colleagues, and jump into a thrilling and whimsical Disney film. And if you haven’t already, go check out Cole Sprouse’s Halloween costume inspired by Milo after! You won’t regret it, I promise. 

9. Bolt 

If you don’t remember Bolt, that’s okay! All you need to know is that he’s the dog who sends a thunderous bark to stop the bad guys from trouble. Or at least that’s what he thinks. Bolt was produced in 2008 featuring voices like Miley Cyrus and John Travolta. This thrilling movie follows Bolt on a journey trying to find his way through life with his owner Penny.

8. Pocahontas 

One of your “out of the ordinary” Disney princesses, Pocahontas is a great film to cozy up to after a long day of classes and studying. Her strength and wisdom are sure to take you down a path of relaxation and of course the wonderful serenade of the classic, “Colors of the Wind”. 

7. The Emperor’s New Groove 

One of my personal favorites, The Emperor’s New Groove is sure to put you in a lighthearted mood when you take some relaxing time to yourself. Follow Emperor Kuzco on his journey through the hills with Patcha, as they find ways to turn him from a llama back into his self-loving emperor self. From personal experience, this is a great movie to cuddle up with! 

6. Coco 

Released in 2017, this fairly new Disney animated film is exciting and adorable. Follow Miguel as he pursues his wish of becoming a musician while celebrating a festive Day of the Dead.

5. Lilo & Stitch 

If you’re feeling a bit nostalgic, feel free to watch Lilo and Stitch. This wonderful and wholesome film will take you back to the times you would eat applesauce and popsicles as you watched this film in your living room. Okay, that may have just been me and my siblings, but this movie is sure to fill you up with all the warm loving feelings the next time you take a break from studying. 

4. Tarzan 

One of my all-time personal favorites, Tarzan is a film that is sure to make any time away from studying the absolute best time. Its wholesome humor and gentle emotion are sure to bring you to a really good happy place on your next study break. 

3. Mulan 

We have now reached the top three movies, and I don’t know about you, but a study break sounds so good right about now, especially with Mulan playing. I’m known to belt the lyrics to “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” and I’m sure my apartment neighbors know every word to the song by now. This movie is not only cute and fun, but it is so empowering and really gets you in the mood to fight the patriarchy. Check out Mulan on your next study break! 

2. Hercules 

If Mulan isn’t a good enough sing-along for you, then Hercules is definitely about to blow your socks off. Not only is this movie great as it follows Hercules’ journey to Olympus, but the soundtrack is also absolutely incredible! Sidenote: this soundtrack is also a great shower playlist, so proceed with caution or your roommates might be banging on your door for you to get out of the bathroom because you’re singing all the songs too long. From “Go the Distance” to “I Won’t Say (I’m in Love),” Hercules is a movie musical Disney film you’ll want to cuddle up to for some “you time.”

1. Incredibles 2

If the wait wasn’t long enough for Disney to release the sequel to The Incredibles, the wait for Netflix to release the sequel was so much longer. Finally, though, Netflix released The Incredibles 2, and can I just say that this movie was the highlight of my summer. Not only was it endlessly funny, crazy nostalgic and wholesomely adorable, I never once thought about work, studying or exams and sometimes that’s just the vibe we all need. The Incredibles 2 journey picks up right at the end of the first movie and just carries on the message that family is super important and so are cute babies who have seventeen powers. The Incredibles 2 has been my most recent favorite movie for a night in, and I would totally suggest it if you’re feeling stressed from all that homework! 

Well, there’s my list for the top Disney films on Netflix right now. If you didn’t agree with my ranking —totally fine — but take a look at some of the movies yourself and see which one is best for your next night in away from the reality of work, homework and life! If I don’t do it, someone else has to, so it might as well be you! Happy watching and seriously enjoy that night in away from the crazy that is your world!

Kailla Sam

Wisconsin

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!