Tips for Planning Your “Day-cation” to Devil’s Lake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’re stuck around the Madison area for the summer, you’re probably looking forward to days on the terrace, farmer’s markets, and sunny State street. But everyone needs to switch it up here and there. Just an hour drive from downtown Madison, Devil’s Lake State Park is a fantastic and easy day trip to plan on a warm summer day. USA Today recently ranked Devil’s Lake State Park #5 in the nation, yet it still continues to be a hidden gem of Wisconsin. After working there the last two summers, I know Devil’s Lake like the back of my hand. Here’s a few tips to planning a great summer day at the park.

1. Know what to pack!

Devil’s Lake has two great beaches, but neither are huge and on a busy day they get packed. So bring your swimsuit, a towel and sunscreen but also make sure to bring other clothes and hiking shoes. The hiking trails are amazing and a good workout, but also rocky and steep. So unless you plan on beachin’ all day, you’ll appreciate something other than your flip flops.

Also, Devil’s Lake allows carry-ins of both food and drinks, so pack a cooler and some hotdogs and buns! There are mini charcoal grills all around the park up for grabs. This is Wisconsin, so alcohol is allowed anywhere in the park—just no glass on the beach! Also, garbage cans are very limited, so bring garbage bags and be prepared to take out anything you bring in!

2. Pick your shore!

The Park is split into two main shores: North and South. But, both are accessible to each other through hiking trails. North shore tends to be busier most days. The beach is sandier, the concessions and gift shop area is bigger, and most of the campsites correspond with the North shore.

South shore is less well-known and often quieter on a hot day. There is a beach but it is a little rockier. South shore is the better spot for fishing though and all main trails connect to both shores. South shore is closer to some well-known Devil’s Lake sights such as Devil’s Doorway.

3. Arrive Early!

On the best summer days, the park fills up fast! The earlier you get there the less likely you are to have to wait in a line of cars to enter the park and the more likely you will be to get parking, a grill, a picnic table, and a spot on the beach!

4. Rent a boat!

Kayaks, paddleboats, canoes, rowboats, paddleboards and more can be rented from the chateau on either shore! The rental process is very easy if you know what to expect ahead of time. The park requires an I.D. and a credit card to rent a boat. The credit card goes on file until you return the boat without damage. After the initial set-up, rental prices vary and are paid hourly. Paddle boarding is my personal favorite! If you plan ahead far enough you can sign up for a guided kayak tour online!

5. Rock 8!

On the Tumbled Rocks Trail, along the Western edge of the shore, there is a “jumping rock” known by most of the locals as Rock 8. This rock overhangs the edge of the water and is very deep right off the edge. On busy summer days, if you walk the Tumbled Rocks Trail, you’re more than likely to find people jumping off the rock into the lake. It’s a ton of fun and not dangerous!

6. Enjoy the Wildlife!

One of the Devil’s Lake regulars brings his parrots with him to the park, and he’ll usually let you hold them if you just go ask! At different times I’ve also found countless frogs, raccoons in the dumpsters, bats in the Chateau, and caught tiny baby catfish near the edge of the shore. People also love to bring their dogs to the park and I never got sick of petting them. As an animal lover, I think it’s all fascinating.

If you’ve never been to Devil’s Lake State Park make sure to plan a day to visit! And if you have been there, remember how lucky we are to have such a great place so close to us! Enjoy the summer—we’re almost there!

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies