Life > Academics

Tips on Balancing Work, School and Relationships as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I know. It’s hard.

With every year that I get older comes more responsibilities. When I was a freshman in college during the peak of the pandemic, my only job was doing well in school and staying healthy. I attended my online classes and tried to make life-long friendships while also staying away from the virus. While this seemed like a huge adjustment at the time, the responsibilities have only multiplied in the time since. As I am almost midway through junior year and balancing friendships, a job and school work, I have some tips to share on how to stay sane through everything life throws at you.

1. Use. Your. Planner.

This semester I have been tasked with continuing my summer internship throughout the school year. This new responsibility comes with harsh deadlines and real work that impacts real people. To manage these deadlines and tasks on top of my school work, I utilize my UW planner to write out everything that I need to do each day. Whether it is a 10 a.m. workout class, an assignment for my Political Science class, or a work meeting, it is all in my planner. The best part is crossing everything out at the end of the day. Trust me, there is no better feeling. 

2. Ask for help.

One thing that I have learned and appreciated throughout this chaotic life is that you should never be afraid to ask for help. Whether it is meeting with a professor to discuss a tricky concept or your manager to discuss the heavy workload, asking for help always results in a positive outcome. Everyone understands that life can get overwhelming and it is okay to need extra support. 

3. Make fun plans with your friends.

Sometimes, I get so caught up in school and work that I forget to spend time with my friends. One way to help maintain these relationships is to make fun plans with them and put them on the calendar. Whether it is cooking dinner, going out for coffee, or going on a shopping spree, it is really important to carve out time to have fun with your friends. 

4. Lastly, make time for YOU.

And last but not least, the most important thing is to take care of YOU. In all of life’s craziness, we need to make sure that we are prioritizing ourselves  and our mental health. Some things that have helped me take care of myself are going to a fun workout class, reading in bed after a long day, or watching an episode of a TV show. These are ways to recover and relax after a hectic day. I have learned that taking care of yourself makes everything else that you do in a day possible, so do not be afraid to take time for yourself.

Life as a college student can be so crazy. We all go through it. However, by staying organized, spending time with friends, and taking care of ourselves, we can tackle this hectic thing called life. 

Alexis Schoor

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Alexis and I am a staff writer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison!