freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Thoughts You’ve Had if You Keep Seeing Your Ex All Over Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It just happened to me the other day. He was riding his bike down the same street as I was, and the tension was there. And let’s all grace ourselves with a little bit of honesty; it has happened to all of us. Maybe he was the guy you had a thing with; maybe he was the guy that you were pretty serious about; or maybe he was the guy you just happened to hook up with after a party. Somehow you guys keep bumping into each other. Here are a few thoughts that you’ve definitely had if you have a little ghost-guy following you around campus.

WHY, Universe?

Was it an accident, or was it intentional? It probably depends on the way you two ended the relationship. But one thing can be true on a general level—you instantly think the universe is out to get you. Seeing him in your first class, then in the coffee line, and then again at the same cross walk. There are more than 40,000 students at this university, and it’s him that you’ve been seeing? How much can a girl take?! *angrily shakes fist at sky*

How’s my outfit?

One of those mini panic attacks waves over you as soon as you spot them out of the crowd. Now you’re second guessing it all after a quick, but thorough, scan of your entire attire. These pants? Why did I scrub today? Did I try too hard? Crap, this is his sweatshirt!

Did they see me like I saw them?

It’s pretty similar to when you see an acquaintance on the street. You know them from class or met them at the party that one time, but aren’t really on a greeting-on-the-street basis. So you both play a little game of stare-tag. You glance at them until their eyes even remotely move, then you stare at the ground, check your phone or pretend to cough. You do this a couple of times until you eventually give up and settle with the thought that he did not notice you.

Who’s that girl he’s with?

Oh, that’s nice. He has a new friend! Classmate? Project partner? Anything besides a new boo, please? Basically your mind jumps to a bunch of new conclusions that you never thought you could reach. Even if you’ve been seeing other guys since you two called it quits, there’s still a bit of a sting there.

*Paranoia sets in*

Well, after a few encounters, you’re looking over your shoulder everywhere you go. It ties back to cursing the universe about your misfortune: you’re beginning to think that you’re going to see them around each corner and to fear that you might not be safe from the encounters. Get out your undercover spy gear, and start sneaking around campus.

I hope he’s okay.

I think this is definitely one that we can all relate to. You have definitely had a soft spot for him at one point, and somewhere deep inside you’re feeling it, still. It could be from worrying whether or not he’s doing well in classes, to whether or not he’s eating healthy or staying out of trouble, the thoughts still cross your mind when you see him.

I’m really happy without him.

This is the one thing I hope for all of us: the ability to see that lost love on the street without feeling anything romantic toward him. There are no emotions lingering, and there is nothing to draw you back in. It almost gives you the feeling that running into him isn’t so much a reminder that you may have lost something great but a reminder of how much you’ve grown. That’s when you realize that running into isn’t a burden caused by the universe but a pleasant blessing to keep you going through the day.

So trust me, even if that kid keeps riding his bike down the same street as you do, pretty soon you’ll barely notice it. And you, too, will just keep riding on. 

Olivia is an adventurous sophomore at UW-Madison! She's pursuing two degrees in both journalism and mass communication, as well as literature. Olivia's favorite things about being a Badger is the school spirit, and the ability to always have something new to explore on campus. You can catch her at the Union or a coffee shop on the weekends with her friends!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!