This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The Bachelor and The bachelorette Franchise Knows: Do you?

Keeping spring break fun and relatively cheap has the same solution as The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. Hometowns. 

Chances are that at least one of your friends in college is from somewhere other than Madison. My friends are from all over the country. Houston, San Diego, Westchester, and Seattle to be exact. Even if your friends are from somewhere as close as Milwaukee, there’s a lot to explore as a non-local.

Now, this might be a problem for your friends whose hometown you’re visiting. Appease them by planning your next spring break trip to your hometown, so they can experience a new place next year. 

Plane trips may not be in everyone’s budget, but you can bring down the price of plane tickets if you use your university email to book flights. Airlines typically have deals for college students. My friends and I had direct flights to and from San Diego discounted because of our student status. 

If that’s still not feasible, pick a city, ranch, lake house, or cabin and drive there with your friends. Staying in Madison, Wisconsin for spring break is enjoyable, too. Find local events happening that week and try to do some new activities to make it feel like a vacation. Visit the art museum, comedy club, or capital to make some changes from your school routine. If the weather is right, you could even drive to Cascade Mountain to go skiing. 

Traveling to a friend’s hometown is an amazing way to see the places that shaped your friend into who they are today. Maybe they have a love for Denny’s you never understood until you went to their hometown Denny’s and heard about their post-prom shenanigans. Maybe they have a dog or cat you finally get to meet.

The Bachelor and The Bachelorette had it right all along. In order to truly know someone, you must visit their hometown. So spring-breakers, have fun and get to know your friend’s hometown, and along the way, your friend on a deeper level.

Libby Lambdin is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in English on the Literature track and Journalism and Mass Communications on the Strategic Communications Track. She is also getting a certificate in Digital Studies. She is passionate about fashion, culture and period dramas (especially Downton Abbey). In her free time she loves dance, pilates, listening to music and spending time at Lake Mendota with her friends.